Unified Sidebar Image Display

Creating and modifying plugins.
Xessex
Regular

Unified Sidebar Image Display

Post by Xessex »

Hey everyone,

I just created my new weblog on www.relitag.eu. It still needs alot of tweaking but i will work that out with Konus (http://www.dd4kids.de) who was kind enough to lend me his css-stylesheet.

But before the tweaking i wanted to test the options of the plugin mentioned in the subject above. I want a random picture out of my media gallery to display in my sidebar. However installing this plugin brings me to two problems.

1. It displays the original images, rather than a thumbnail. How do i make a thumbnail appear there so that the picture looks okay?

2. I'd love to see the name of the church pop up above the picture.... and its location beneath the random selected picture. Is there anyway this can be done? Or any other way to get a description of the photo in that nugget? People need to see where this random image is coming from i reckon.
I'm open for suggestions...

Many thanks for offering any help
mgroeninger
Regular

Re: Unified Sidebar Image Display

Post by mgroeninger »

Hi Xessex,
Since no-one has jumped in this thread I figured I would respond.

1. I don't think the images it is displaying are the originals. When I visited the site I saw this image:
http://www.relitag.eu/uploads/architect ... yThumb.jpg

That image is a thumbnail. The problem, though, is that it is scaling the image to a size larger than your thumbnail. The easiest way to fix this might be to set a fixed width. In the options, find the setting that is something like:
Set a fixed image width. If the width is set to "0" the plugin will output "width:100%"

Set that to "80" for your images (from the small sample I looked at).

2) Unfortunately, the plugin isn't that sophisticated because the the media database isn't that sophisticated. The plugin uses the standard media database, which does not have any description field or any real data about the picture (other than size, type, etc).

The best recommendation I have would be to make a blog post for image, and then use the "Behavior of image link" setting of "Try to link to entry". That way the image will link to something about the specific church.

Hope that helps. I am glad to see you are using that plugin, and I'm sorry it isn't as full featured as you would like.
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

Owkay thanks, didnt see that problem. So i solved it with setting a new fixed width and rebuilding my thumbs.

I wont post the pictures as one loose blog entry. The idea of the site is to make one entry for each church, in which all pictures of that church are shown. So then i just stick to a random image.

But thanks for the suggestion....

Although you could help me too with something else. I know i could make a static page from my media library, its a nice option... unless you want a more professional look for your photos. I'd like to create a tab with all my photos but not the way its displayed like in the media gallery. I'd like to see a few maps (say one per country) with underneath the country name and the map itself is a picture. IF cou click England for instance, you get to see submaps from all the regions with also one picture... etc...

How could i do that?
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I'd like to see a few maps (say one per country) with underneath the country name and the map itself is a picture. IF cou click England for instance, you get to see submaps from all the regions with also one picture... etc...
That I have no idea on that.

Google maps might have some kind of API to do that with, but I don't really know. I haven't worked with anything that required maps before.

HTML support mapping links onto images. If you had series of maps (as images) you could use the static pages plugin to do something like that. You could even use the media gallery to show only folders of images from specific churches as the final link.

That seems kind of hacked though...