Meta Tags, Variables & Static Pages

Creating and modifying plugins.
Michele2
Regular

Meta Tags, Variables & Static Pages

Post by Michele2 »

I have been creating a few static pages that include a link list of related pages. By default it includes the date of each entry and the title. What I would like to do is include with each entry the meta description to make the list more interesting, informative, and provide more content for SEO purposes.

The link list is created through the staticpages-entries-listing.tpl file that is part of the Static Pages plugin. Can I use the value created by the Meta Tags plugin for the description on that page and what is that variable called and how do I use it?
Michele2
Regular

Post by Michele2 »

On a related note, it would appear that the number of entries listed is governed by the same settings as what controls the number of listings displayed on the homepage and categories.

Is there anyway to change things so that on a static page with a related category it could list all of the related entries?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

You should be able to do that within the loop in the staticpage-entries-listing.tpl file by using smarty variables:

Code: Select all

{$entry.properties.ep_meta_description}
{$entry.properties.ep_meta_head_title}
{$entry.properties.ep_meta_keywords}
so you'd have something like:

<a href="{$entry.link}">{$entry.title|@default:$entry.id}</a><br />
Meta-Title: {$entry.properties.ep_meta_head_title}
Is there anyway to change things so that on a static page with a related category it could list all of the related entries?
Somewhere on your plugin_staticpage_related_category.tpl file (or whatever you use as a custom template) you should currently have a code like:

{serendipity_fetchPrintEntries category=$staticpage_related_category_id template="staticpage-entries-listing.tpl" limit=5 noSticky="true"}
you need to adapt this to:

{serendipity_fetchPrintEntries category=$staticpage_related_category_id template="staticpage-entries-listing.tpl" limit=5000 noSticky="true"}
So you raise the "limit" parameter to something really high. :)

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Michele2
Regular

Post by Michele2 »

Oh hurray!!!

The counter change worked perfectly.

The description one didn't work as you had it. When I changed the variable to $entry.properties.meta_description (no ep_ before the field name) it worked perfectly.

Thank you so much for you help!!!