event_suggest: missing certain options in the backend

Creating and modifying plugins.
snafu
Regular

event_suggest: missing certain options in the backend

Post by snafu »

hi folks,

i intend to use the suggest plugin in our free newspaper. it works ok, but in the language file i find some entries like

Email for new articles and
To which author shall entries be assigned to?

which do not show up in the plugin configuration screen. it would be fine to use this options: to be emailed as an operator if new entries were suggested etc.

do you know how to activate this options? (or is the language file simply preparated for later versions??)

mny tnx!
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: event_suggest: missing certain options in the backend

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

The plugin was developed commercially, but those options did not get properly implemented.

If anyone would like to contribute it to that plugin, I would add the code to it!

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
snafu
Regular

Post by snafu »

ah, mny tnx for this info, so i will have to live with it so far.
cgrauer
Regular

Post by cgrauer »

garvinhicking wrote: If anyone would like to contribute it to that plugin, I would add the code to it!
How much?

I would appreciate the following features:
- by default displaying the name from the input form as author
- possibility to change the author in the backend
- notification mail on new suggested entries!

Viele Grüße,
Christian
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
- by default displaying the name from the input form as author
This can be done already, but it requires you to patch your templates entries.tpl file to display it using {$entry.properties.ep_suggest_name}.
- possibility to change the author in the backend
This can be done already by using the plugin "Extended properties for entries".
- notification mail on new suggested entries!
That would be about 30-60 minutes of work to add to the plugin. As I mentioned, I am not actively maintaining this plugin because of its commercial heritage. Personally I charge 50 Euro an hour of s9y development, and if you need official company support, I can offer that trhough the german company Faktor-E (75 Euro/hour).

Regards,
Garvin
cgrauer
Regular

Post by cgrauer »

Hi Garvin,

ok, thanks for the two hints! It works. I also made it to patch the plugin myself to make it sending a notification (hardcoded and as quick and dirty as possible. Perhaps I could elaborate this in future if I'm more familiar with s9y). For now it fits my needs.

Now, one question from a newbee: why didn't you give these hints earlier in this thread? As I understood "snafu" asked the same thing - or didn't he??

And what is "the german company Faktor-E" and why should I pay 75,- EUR if you offer 50??

thanks and sorry for all this trouble!
Christian
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Christian!
ok, thanks for the two hints! It works. I also made it to patch the plugin myself to make it sending a notification (hardcoded and as quick and dirty as possible. Perhaps I could elaborate this in future if I'm more familiar with s9y). For now it fits my needs.
Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that if you know some PHP, you could hack in your own notification system in the file. Of course for the future it would be nice to use the admin's email adress automatically, and make the notification configurable.
Now, one question from a newbee: why didn't you give these hints earlier in this thread? As I understood "snafu" asked the same thing - or didn't he??
No, Snafu only asked about Emailing new articles, so the questions you asked where IMHO not related (especially because you gave the solution with hacking, not me). :-)
And what is "the german company Faktor-E" and why should I pay 75,- EUR if you offer 50??
I only do small work on limited scope personally. And I don't do contract work for work outside Germany. Faktor E does work in much larger scale, can offer to work internationally and they give support for their stuff. If my programming doesn't work, I only code on a "works for me" basis, whereas Faktor E can give proper guarantees for their work.

Plus, Faktor-E has telephone and personal support, I only work with e-mail .

Best regards,
Garvin
cgrauer
Regular

Post by cgrauer »

Hi Garvin,
garvinhicking wrote:Of course for the future it would be nice to use the admin's email adress automatically, and make the notification configurable.
Exactly. But until now I don't know where to get the admin's address etc and I have no time to rifle through the entrails of s9y because saturday I'll start on a 2 weeks bicycle trip to italy... :-)
garvinhicking wrote:No, Snafu only asked about Emailing new articles, so the questions you asked where IMHO not related (especially because you gave the solution with hacking, not me). :-)
But don't his words "To which author shall entries be assigned to?" also refer to my question? Ok it's not really important...
garvinhicking wrote: I only do small work on limited scope personally. And I don't do contract work for work outside Germany. Faktor E does work in much larger scale, can offer to work internationally and they give support for their stuff. If my programming doesn't work, I only code on a "works for me" basis, whereas Faktor E can give proper guarantees for their work.
Oh, Faktor-E is a company!! Things are so easy if one understands basic linguistic structures :-) sorry, blackout!

Viele Grüße,
Christian
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
Exactly. But until now I don't know where to get the admin's address etc and I have no time to rifle through the entrails of s9y because saturday I'll start on a 2 weeks bicycle trip to italy... :-)
Point taken. :) That sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy! After that, if you want you can contact me again and I'll tell you how to get the admins mail address. Some plugins already do this (the "User Self-Registration" plugin for example).
But don't his words "To which author shall entries be assigned to?" also refer to my question? Ok it's not really important...
Ah, I might just have overread that one, sorry:)
Oh, Faktor-E is a company!! Things are so easy if one understands basic linguistic structures :-) sorry, blackout!
Oh, you're right. I wasn't specific enough :)

Regards,
Garvin
cgrauer
Regular

Post by cgrauer »

garvinhicking wrote:That sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy!
Indeed, I'll do so :-)
garvinhicking wrote:After that, if you want you can contact me again and I'll tell you how to get the admins mail address. Some plugins already do this (the "User Self-Registration" plugin for example).
Ok, we'll meet again here in two (or three...) weeks!

Christian