Static Page Modification

Found a bug? Tell us!!
Wizard
Regular

Static Page Modification

Post by Wizard »

I noticed something interesting. The static page plugin was changed in Version 2.12 by adding last change page back/next navigation, plus edit. This was sorely needed, thanks! However, I can't seem to prevent it from stopping from linking to the next page when it starts anew. In other words, I am using parent child relationships to group my static pages. The plugin seems to treat all static pages as linear, the last child of the previous parent links to the next parent. It should stop at the last child. Maybe I'm missing something, what's the point of parent child other than providing a link on the parent page? Also I noticed that the previous/next button are actually displaying the name of the static page instead of "next" or "previous" . While this is cool and all, if you have large titles it "stacks" the title and is hard to read/understand. The next /previous is at the top, centered, while the posted by and 'edit" link is at the bottom, left aligned. It would be better (I think) to have it all at the bottom like articles/entries do. You can see for yourself at my site. Clicking on my first static page "Oasis in a Concrete Jungle" takes you to the static page just fine, however the previous link takes to the child of another series of static pages, namely "Remote Controls". The "top" button works perfectly, taking you to the parent page.
Last edited by Wizard on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wizard
My WeBlog
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Static Page Modification

Post by garvinhicking »

I've mailed the Falk, author of those changes and informed him about your problems. I hope he'll be posting here. :)

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
falk
Regular

Re: Static Page Modification

Post by falk »

Hi!
Wizard wrote:However, I can't seem to prevent it from stopping from linking to the next page when it starts anew. In other words, I am using parent child relationships to group my static pages. The plugin seems to treat all static pages as linear, the last child of the previous parent links to the next parent. It should stop at the last child.
This is a known bug. I fix it the next days.
Wizard wrote:Also I noticed that the previous/next button are actually displaying the name of the static page instead of "next" or "previous" . While this is cool and all, if you have large titles it "stacks" the title and is hard to read/understand.
You can change this in the Template-File. In the one Hand you can write "Previous" or "Next" in the Links or cut some chars from the title. Please see http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/languag ... uncate.php in this case.
Wizard wrote:The next /previous is at the top, centered, while the posted by and 'edit" link is at the bottom, left aligned. It would be better (I think) to have it all at the bottom like articles/entries do.
You can change this in the Template-File, too.
Wizard
Regular

Ok, but...

Post by Wizard »

I'll give it the "ole college try" today. Not complaining mind you, but it would be great for us non-techie guys who like to just push buttons and enter values for default actions versus having to go into code and make changes. It also makes it easier for when you programmer guys make upgrades we won't have to remember what we did to the "default" to make it look like we want. I understand that this is the reason Serendipity is so great, the ability to make changes on the fly and highly customizable so I'll get off my soap box now.

In anticipation of Falk fixing the "known bugs" of this plugin, how does one go about re-ordering child pages? By making sub-children is the only way I found. His upgrade also uncovers the problem I had earlier. Child pages are not in order when they are all linked to the same parent, so his previous and next buttons are not linking to the correct page. I would like to see the next, previous, author, edit button on all one line at the bottom, looking like multiple entries do. For an example of what I mean, check out my static pages. The bottom of the page has the next, page count and previous button. I did it with HTML code that Garvin recommended. I also noticed that when you are on the first child page (second page), the previous page is the top page and the word "top" is shown as the top, both taking you to the first page. In that condition the top or previous should be removed and leave only one.

Also looking at the output a second time, perhaps it would be wise to have an option to turn those features off/on as well as position. It doesn't seem to fit with the style of entries. Maybe I'm missing something here. Perhaps I shouldn't be using static pages at all.

Having said all that, is there a way to go back to a previous version of the static page plugin? The current version will not work for me at all. I guess I should have heeded the best advice of all.
Make backups before you upgrade.
This applies to plugins as well as the core system. D'oh!
Wizard
My WeBlog
Wizard
Regular

Downgrade...

Post by Wizard »

Is it possible to downgrade a plugin? How does one go about it? Where can you get the older version? Since the static pages now insists on showing next/previous and it still is not corrected at that, one may opt to go back to a previous version 'till it's fixed. I looked for it but haven't found it. The next/previous should be an option (in my opinion) since all static pages may not be related. Ideally, you should be able to define the ones that link and which should be called out by the permalink only. I still haven't gotten a definitive answer on rearranging the static pages.
Wizard
My WeBlog
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Downgrade...

Post by garvinhicking »

Falk is working on that plugin;

you cannot easily downgrade to other plugin versions. Only if no DB changes were made. You can try to just fetch the previous plugin PHP file from the CVS and use that, I think it shouldn't interfere with a different DB Scheme.

As Falk mentioned, you still have the opportunity to create your own staticpage template file so "configure" if you want to see the links or not.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/