mobile viewing - first entry of the main menu doesn't work

Found a bug? Tell us!!
aisberg
Regular

mobile viewing - first entry of the main menu doesn't work

Post by aisberg »

If the blog is visited on a mobile phone (android) in portrait modus a special blog modus is used: The main vertical menu is converted into a drop down list, side plugins are shown below the main article.

I can't reproduce this special modus on a desktop PC, I think this is something special for mobile devices.

But the first entry of this drop down list doesn't work. Nothing happens when selecting the first entry. All other entries of the menu work fine. After visiting another page also the first entry works, but it doesn't work from the first visit.

I use the 2k11 theme. The error can be reproduced by visiting my blog with an android phone and trying to select the first entry "IT-Profil Germo Görtz"
aisberg
Regular

Re: mobile viewing - first entry of the main menu doesn't work

Post by aisberg »

I think, the issue is: the first entry is pre-selected. And if it will be clicked no action is done because nothing changed. Maybe there should be no entry preselected. But I have no knowlege on website programming. I can explain the issues only as a user.
Be@t
Regular

Post by Be@t »

I can't reproduce this special modus on a desktop PC, I think this is something special for mobile devices.
All views are produced for certain screen resolutions (you can find it in your CSS-file). If you reduce your browser window small enough, you will see your site in the mobile-view.

I cannot visit your page, because you don't run https.... (please get a encription-certificate. e.g. "Let's encript" (it's for free)).

But the answer is maybe simple (it's not a bug): The first shown item is your actual position (frontpage). Thats why you cannot choose it right away. You have to select first another page. Than you can return. :wink:

Edit 7:27pm: "You got it!" S9Y-2K11 cannot change the dropdown-list. It's a image of your menu-structure. The first entry is needed to returnd to your startpage.

BTW: Wieso schreibst Du nicht immer im Deutsch-Forum? Die meisten hier sprechen und schreiben einfacher in Deutsch. :wink:
aisberg
Regular

Post by aisberg »

Bezüglich Deutsch:
Ich dachte, für Bugs soll das Bugs-Forum verwendet werden. Aber wenn alle relevanten Entwickler deutsch sprechen, dann werde ich zukünftig da schreiben. Ist für mich auch einfacher.

Was du schreibst:
I cannot visit your page, because you don't run https.... (please get a encription-certificate. e.g. "Let's encript" (it's for free)).
Das erschrickt mich jetzt aber doch sehr. So weit sind wir jetzt schon, dass es nicht mehr ohne die Pseudo-sicheren Zertifikate geht? Da muss ich wohl mal schauen, was ich bei Strato einstellen kann. Das ist schon schlimm, wie die Browser-Industrie Ihre Vorstellungen zwangsweise durchdrückt.

Und du schreibst:
Der erste Eintrag wäre angeblich die Start-Seite. Nein, das ist nicht der Fall. Der erste Eintrag ist NICHT die Startseite, sondern der erste Eintrag ist der erste Eintrag aus den standard-mäßig 5 Einträgen, die im Thema konfiguriert werden können. Und da ich 5 Einträge konfiguriert habe, hat die Liste auch nur 5 Einträge, und keinen 6. Eintrag für die Startseite. Das könnte man zwar als Work-Around so machen: den ersten Eintrag auf die Startseite zeigen lassen. Aber dafür ist in der Desktop-Sicht ja die Überschrift da: wenn man da rauf klickt, kommt man auf die Start Seite. Also ich halte das schon für einen Bug. Wenn der erste Eintrag auf die Startseite zeigen soll, dann sollte es zusätzlich zu den 5 Einträgen einen zusätzlichen ganz als erstes in der Liste geben, der auf die Startseite zeigt.

Ich dachte übrigens auch, dass ich das Fenster des Browsers nur schmal genug machen muss, weil ich das ja auch so aus dem CSS verstanden habe. Aber das funktioniert leider nicht mit Chrome, und auch wenn ich das Fenster so schmal wie möglich mache, stellt sich das nicht um. Mit dem Edge geht das aber, den bekomme ich auch schmaler. Und dann springt die Ansicht tatsächlich um.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Nein, stimmte schon: Außerhalb des "Generelles auf Deutsch" bitte auf englisch bleiben. Die meisten Entwickler sprechen zwar deutsch, aber nicht alle.

I think this is a valid bug. It's a preselection of sort: if you click on the first menu entry you don't cause any event, so nothing happens, because the first menu entry is already visible. I remember Yellowled saying that wasn't easy to fix?

That chrome doesn't show it on the desktop must be a chrome issue, maybe it just doesn't allow the content area to get small enough. That's unrelated in my eyes.
aisberg
Regular

Post by aisberg »

English is fine. Thanks for qualifying this as valid bug.

The "chrome issue" is not related to the issue. It is not possible to make the chrome window smaller than

Code: Select all

(min-width: 768px)
But in other browsers the "switch" works fine.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Be@t wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:23 pmThe first shown item is your actual position (frontpage). Thats why you cannot choose it right away. You have to select first another page. Than you can return. :wink:
Exactly. (And, by the way, none of this is specific to Android or portrait mode.) This is the way mobile menus were done back in the day. (Keep in mind that 2k11, while still very popular and the current s9y default/fallback theme, is more than eight years old at this point.)

I would suggest trying out the next theme, which looks very much alike, is a bit more modern and offers a different solution for the menu. Unfortunately, the posssibilities in terms of navigation are still pretty limited in s9y if you want more than just a few links. (However, the same is usually true for small screen navigation – it works better with fewer links.)

YL
aisberg
Regular

Post by aisberg »

one idea would be to add an additional first item in the drop-down list which will link to the "home page". In this case the first item from the horizontal menu would be the second item im the list and the link should work.

If this is not possible then the first item needs to show to the home page. This would be a work around.

I will try the "next theme" as you suggest this. But in general I am fine with the 2k11 theme. And it's hard to believe that this thema is 8 yeas old.
aisberg
Regular

Post by aisberg »

one more question:
When I switch to "next", can I use the same CSS file user.css which I use for the 2k11 theme?

Is there a documentation what can and should be used in the CSS file?
I found a link to a CSS generator created by yellowled. But the link was in any forum entry and not in any documentation. And it looks like I lost the link...
aisberg
Regular

Post by aisberg »

There is a hint:
"Hinweis: Next mag aussehen, als sei es im Prinzip wie 2k11 - unter der Haube ist es (technisch gesehen) ein völlig anderes Theme. Es ist daher nicht kompatibel mit dem user.css-Generator für 2k11."

I tried and the old 2k11 CSS is really not compatible. So I need some ideas how to create an CSS document for next.

The dropdown menu in "next" works as required.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

aisberg wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:31 pmI tried and the old 2k11 CSS is really not compatible. So I need some ideas how to create an CSS document for next.
You will almost never find two theme which have “compatible” CSS. That would require them to have very similar markup, use the same classes etc. (Yes, this can theoretically be achieved using a CSS framework like Bootstrap. But remember that s9y themes have to factor in things like plugins that people may or may not use.)

I understand that a lot of users would prefer to have a user.css generator for any theme, but I'm afraid that's just not feasible. You can always describe in the forums what you want to do and hope for someone to tell you what CSS you need, but if you have more extensive tweaking in mind, you'll have to learn some CSS anyway. It's fun! :)

YL
aisberg
Regular

Post by aisberg »

It is even better to build the user.css yourself. You will understand and learn where and how you can change something and how it affects the output.