[2.0] Dashboard says "no entries"

Found a bug? Tell us!!
onli
Regular

Re: [2.0] Dashboard says "no entries"

Post by onli »

Don Chambers wrote:In both instances, that container isn't going to be very useful if it always contains all comments.
Not sure if I'm just misinterpreting what you want to say, but that is not actually how it works. It shows the last 5 (which works with your prior argumentation though, so really not sure).
Don Chambers wrote:Imagine a site that gets 50 comments a day, or one that only gets 10 comments a year.
I don't like to design for edge cases first. I know that this argument can be misused, and a solution should still work somewhat in more unusual situations, but a typical s9y blog does neither get as much as 50 comments a day nor only 10 a year… and that box does not have to be very useful then.

Feedback is welcome, however: I want to suggest to first use the current solution (with the rename and maybe with the change of hiding the entry box in 2.x.0) for a while in a real production blog and then discuss about changes based on that experience. It's just too early.

Of course, obvious shortcomings we missed like the original report here are perfect now.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:While it is true comments that have passed spam filters might need to be reviewed, s9y has already notified the admin via email of new comments.
Only if the author or admin has comment notification emails activated.
Don Chambers wrote:Imagine a site that gets 50 comments a day, or one that only gets 10 comments a year.
It is not meant to handle 50 comments/day. However, I could see the option to configure the dashboard so it doesn't even contain this “widget” if it's too annoying.

This dashboard is (that should have been clarified earlier in the discussion) still in the very early stages. You could say we're trying it out in 2.0. It should at some point become configurable, but we're not there yet. There are too few plugins or sections of the backend that actually emit content in the dashboard.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

From my own point of view, I think what I would like to see in that comment container is 1) comments needing moderation and 2) any comment < x days old, where "x" is either a configuration parameter or something brief - like 3-7 days. In fact, perhaps the number of comments shown should also be a configuration parameter. Just thinking out loud. :wink:
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:From my own point of view, I think what I would like to see in that comment container is 1) comments needing moderation and 2) any comment < x days old, where "x" is either a configuration parameter or something brief - like 3-7 days. In fact, perhaps the number of comments shown should also be a configuration parameter.
I think that's way too much.

It's supposed to show the latest 5 comments and enable users to react to those quickly. I can see the “< x days old” part for blog which rarely get comments, but for blog with a large number and/or high freuquency of comments, this dashboard widget will never be useful because it has limited space.

Alternatively, I could see it only showing comments that require a reaction (i.e. moderation) and removing those that have been reacted on instantly. No idea if that's possible with a reasonable amount of work on it, though.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

yellowled wrote:
Don Chambers wrote:Alternatively, I could see it only showing comments that require a reaction (i.e. moderation) and removing those that have been reacted on instantly
I initially thought the only comments in that box were moderated comments.... that would be idea.
=Don=