"Empty recycler" just deletes what's on the current page

Found a bug? Tell us!!
Manko10
Regular

"Empty recycler" just deletes what's on the current page

Post by Manko10 »

A few weeks ago the Bayes plugin introduced pagination for browsing the recycle bin. This is a great feature because it reduces page load times and calculation power needed for rendering the page significantly.
So overall it's a great thing to have, but it has one big flaw: when pressing "Empty recycler" only comments that are visible on the current page are deleted. This might be okay for blogs with very a little commentary spam amount but on my blog I get far more than just one page per day (more like two or three, sometimes four pages and more). That means that cleaning the recycle bin is very time consuming. I only need to wait two weeks and cleaning the rubbish means half a hundred clicks or so. It's easier to open phpMyAdmin and click TRUNCATE on the table than to go through this procedure.

I won't be disappointed if a click on "Empty recycler" would really empty that thing. ;-)
onli
Regular

Re: "Empty recycler" just deletes what's on the current page

Post by onli »

Hi
Thanks for the feedback. I thought quite a while about that change, because I'm not sure if it is expected that the button will delete more than the visible items. Now I know one person more who does expect this.

I understand that it is annoying to click that button several times. I could either add a config-option which changes that behaviour, thus erasing all comments with one click - or I could increase the comments per page to 50 or even 100.

Or you could try to use the "Recycler Bypass"-option to reduce the comments in the recycler, if the rating is fairly stable.
Manko10
Regular

Post by Manko10 »

What about a button "Select/Unselect all", a checkbox "also mark items on other pages" and a simple "Delete selected" button instead of "Empty recycler"?
But anyway: I expect "Empty recycler" to do exactly what it says: empty the recycler. If it just deletes the items on the current page it appears like a bug to me.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

That would also be a good way to go.
But it would be hard to do it right. A user could expect that it actually selects all of them on the frontend and go from page to page, expecting them to be selected, to unselect single comments...

It was easier to just offer an option. I just commited it to github, the update should be in spartacus in 2-3 days.
Manko10
Regular

Post by Manko10 »

Great, I'll have a look at it when it's available through Spartacus.
Manko10
Regular

Post by Manko10 »

I just installed a Bayes update but I still have to delete each page individually. Is this a mistake or did the update just include an earlier patch?
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Did you had the option available? You need to enable "empty all" in the configuration.
Manko10
Regular

Post by Manko10 »

Ah, okay. Yes, it's there. I only expected it to appear directly on the recycler page.