potential spam protector plugin bug

Found a bug? Tell us!!
mjlivelyjr

potential spam protector plugin bug

Post by mjlivelyjr »

I have the spam protector plugin active on my site and I have activated the SURBL protection.

I was responding to a post in my site and as always I add my own website to the website field. When I submitted the comment I was getting an error saying my comment was rejected because a domain included in the comment was on the SURBL. At first I thought I might have just entered the captcha in wrong, so I tried submitting the comment about 3 more times. When I finally took my website out of the website field the comment went through fine.

Then just to make sure my domain didn't somehow get blacklisted I checked the SURBL using http://www.rulesemporium.com/cgi-bin/uribl.cgi It didn't come up as being blacklisted (or even grey listed) with either a domain OR an IP search.

What makes things even more confusing is that I have replied peoples comments with my domain name in the website field many many times before this without a problem. Although it very well could have been with a different build of s9y.

In anycase, it's a hassle not being able to post comments with my domain name on my own site :)
nohn
Regular

Post by nohn »

a) what URL are you talking about?
b) which SURBLs do you use?
mjlivelyjr

Post by mjlivelyjr »

Sorry, I forgot to put that in my post :/

http://www.digitalsandwich.com is my site and the url that was getting rejected.

As far as surbls, there isn't an explicit place to set these as far as I know, unless it uses the same hosts as the RBL stuff uses which I haven't changed, so they are set to: sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, bl.spamcop.net

It should also be noted that I DO NOT have RBL turned on, just SURBL

[edit]
I went ahead and did a quick lookup at spamcop and spamhaus just to make sure I am not listed, and I'm not
[/edit]
Marcel
Regular

Post by Marcel »

I have the same problem:

I'm running Serendipity 0.8-beta6 and the newest version of SPAM protector plugin.

"Reject comments from RBL-listed hosts" is set to YES /
"Which RBLs should be contacted" has listed: sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, bl.spamcop.net (the default value).

All comments are rejected - reason: RBL-Block (even my own!) And none of these IPs are listed a spamcomp.net or spamhouse.org!!!

What the hell is wrong?

Your help would be very, very welcome!
Thanks a lot!
Marcel
nohn
Regular

Post by nohn »

XBL lists zombies, Spamcop is very restrictive. Most Dialup-Networks are listed, because they host zombies.
Marcel
Regular

Post by Marcel »

Thanks, nohn

But this doesnt't seem to be the problem, because:
- my IP isn't listed (in all lists mentioned)
- I don't use dialup, I'm using broadband access

and my own comments are rejected just the same!