Help - Spam Protector STILL not working

Found a bug? Tell us!!
meritweb
Regular

Help - Spam Protector STILL not working

Post by meritweb »

I have enabled our Spam Protector and enabled almost all of the Spam Protector security features - captchas, listed numerous keywords to block, etc... However, nothing has happened. We still get spammed all the time (with keywords that I have put on our block list). Captchas don't even appear on the site when you go to submit something. How do I fix this? I am tired of deleting 70+ trackbacks - and I am deleting the same ones over and over and over again. Can anyone help me? Is there something I am overlooking in the Spam Protector? Is there a bug somewhere? Are other people having success with this plug in? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Last edited by meritweb on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Help - Spam Protector not working

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Please do not crosspost.

Check your site when you're not logged in to serendipity - Captchas are not shown if you're logged in. They should be shown to visitors.

You might be getting TRACKBACK spam, not comment spam, did you check that? For trackback spam, captchas cannot be applied. To prevent this spam, apply for a akismet.com key and enable akismet blacklisting in the spamblock config.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
meritweb
Regular

Thanks!

Post by meritweb »

Garvin,

Sorry for cross-posting. I wasn't sure where to post this. I am new to the Serendipity community.

It is Trackback Spam... thank you for the advice! It should save me quite a bit of time!
roti
Regular

admin cant reply to comment if captcha enabled

Post by roti »

(I realized that I had to take 'Force captchas after how many days' to 0 to test captchas instantly.)

My problem is:
When captchas are enabled, and accepted a comment as admin, I try to answer to it.
At the window, I dont have the captcha, and after posting the reply, I get this error:

'Your comment could not be added because comments for this entry have either been disabled, you entered invalid data, or your comment was caught by anti-spam measurements'

so is this true: 'admin cant reply to comment if captcha enabled'?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

No, the admin should be able to reply even if CAPTCHAs are enabled.

To more easily find the problem, I would enable the spamblock log. (The option is in the configuration for the Spam Protector plugin.) I like storing the log in the database, but it doesn't matter where you put it.

Clear the log, then try to reply again. Then see what the log says. That'll tell us exactly where to look next.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
roti
Regular

Post by roti »

I had 'Disable spamblock for Authors' = none, thats why the comment expected the captcha.
I changed it to 'all' and I can post comment.
It is ok.

But if I set 'Disable spamblock for Authors' for some author, than for these authors the captcha should be visible.

Other odd thing is that if I reply to a comment, than I have to moderate it (if the moderation is checked).
It is not a huge problem, but a little strange ...