Beginners Guide, HTML Nugget Plugin

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
carl_galloway
Regular

Beginners Guide, HTML Nugget Plugin

Post by carl_galloway »

I have written up another beginners guide, this time showing how to use the HTML nugget to add HTML code such as a counter or adsense.

Read the HTML Nugget Guide
yellowled
Regular

Re: Beginners Guide, HTML Nugget Plugin

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:I have written up another beginners guide, this time showing how to use the HTML nugget to add HTML code such as a counter or adsense.
Maybe I'm nitpicking a little, but since this is a beginners guide: I think you should point out more explicitly that a HTML nugget isn't resticted to HTML or plain text (I think the expression "plain text" isn't really "beginner-compatible" anyway) but can also contain Javascript (BTW: are there any restrictions in the HTML Nugget? Could it hold PHP code? Would that be executed?).

Since this probably will be used for counters much: my "counter provider" once pointed out in an email that Javascript code shouldn't be but within <p> and </p>, apparently that can cause problems. Also, it's important to keep the line breaks, so I'd point that out, too.

Just some thoughts ... (as usual :))

YL
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Thanks dude, I made a few small changes, so hopefully it explains things a bit better. If anyone else wants to make any recommendations please do. I'm most interested in hearing from beginners or people who remember the first time they installed the html nugget.

This particular guide is just the second out of probably a couple dozen I want to write, and I'm hoping to produce one every couple of days.
magskcom
Regular

Post by magskcom »

Hello everyone,

I just started using your awesome software here and have made a decent amount of posts on my blog and now been approved by google to use adsense.

However I am so lost and have no understanding of the basics of installing my adsense code so that it can be displayed at the top of my page and on the left hand side as well. I tried putting it into the html nugget section however nothing was shown after I saved it, also I cant figure out how to make a plugin display on the left as opposed to only on the right side.

Thanks
Mike
magskcom
Regular

Post by magskcom »

I mean I am so lost in trying to install adsense, and im not computer retarded either just cant figure it out.

I mean the part about getting the adsense code to be displayed on the left side of my blog, or rather any plugin to show on the left side I cant figure out this little bit and its driving me crazy.

Thanks
Mike
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I'd love to help, but ceejay and I have started our world travels and my contribution in these forums is going to be very restricted. It would be a good idea in future to add our url so we can see your blog and the template/plugins you are using, then I can just hammer away on the keyboard and give you what you need. I'm sorry this doesn't help, but
I'll check this thread again tomorrow and see if you've added any extra comments.
magskcom
Regular

Post by magskcom »

No thats definitely fair enough, Were are you traveling? I havent gone anywhere in years sounds exciting.

My url http://www.magsk.com

Thank you
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

First step is to get it displaying anywhere. Install the HTML Nugget where you can already see other sidebar plugins and add the AdSense code to it. It should display the AdSense ads. If it doesn't, come back and let us know what's wrong.

Second step is to move it to the left side (or elsewhere). Some themes don't support a left sidebar; they move everything to the right or hide it altogether. If it appears correctly in the default theme, then this is your problem, and you'll need to modify the template or choose another. If it's a different problem, I don't know what causes it; let us know it's a problem, and we'll see what else we can do.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I just followed your link and it seems adsense is working. The template you're using is three column so getting the adsense into the left column is easy. Just go into your plugin management and move the html nugget to the left sidebar instead of right. I see you're using v1.1 so you should have the javascript drag and drop column stuff, so just drag the nugget to the left sidebar, then scroll down the page and click the first save button.

As for travelling, we're starting in Australia, then making our way to Europe, and then who knows. We both want to see India and China, and I've always been really keen on South America, and if possible I'd love to go back to Africa, I was brought up in the RSA.