Test-Database

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Col. Kurtz
Regular

Test-Database

Post by Col. Kurtz »

I try to look at new templates from time to time. Or try new features of the latest released s9y versions. Last time I did this I just took the DB from one of my installations, but I have some problems with that. Some themes just break, maybe because I made something wrong when I imported the DB, maybe because the images I use are too large. Maybe I just made a mistake in one of the HMTL Nuggets or something similar....whatever.

So is there something like a test-DB you can install to check new templates/features? What do you guys use to test? Do you post new entries on your own first or always use the same old DB?
Marc
yellowled
Regular

Re: Test-Database

Post by yellowled »

Col. Kurtz wrote:So is there something like a test-DB you can install to check new templates/features? What do you guys use to test? Do you post new entries on your own first or always use the same old DB?
As far as I know there is no such thing - I remember Carl being asked somewhere in the forums whether he'd supply a mysql-dump of his template site, but I don't recall whether he did actually post it somewhere - doesn't matter anyway since the site has been disbanded in that form.

Personally, I have a test installation (usually latest beta) running on my local linux machine which has some basic test entries (lorem ipsum posts, various lists, blockquotes, externded entry, stuff like that). Every once in a while I encounter a new plugin or feature which needs a new entry or sidebar stuff to be added. That's basically it.

YL