Just curious, how many folks have trouble because of hosting

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
WebTrooper
Regular

Just curious, how many folks have trouble because of hosting

Post by WebTrooper »

Im just curious, how many have trouble installing and/or running s9y due to virtual server configuation? Please answer the following as best you can.

-- What difficulties do you encounter and what do you believe is the cause.

-- How dependable is your server? (downtime, load speed, etc...)

-- Who provides your hosting?

-- What would you like to see in the ideal hosting provider in relation to s9y?

Thanks for your input.
We're all on the same boat. Let's not sink it."
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

What difficulties do you encounter and what do you believe is the cause.

Don't have any trouble with my host. I have also installed s9y on my own PC, and haven't got any trouble either. PC is running debian, and php and mysql are the standard debian binaries.
How dependable is your server? (downtime, load speed, etc...)
Don't know. As my site is pretty low traffic.
Who provides your hosting?
totalchoicehosting.com
What would you like to see in the ideal hosting provider in relation to s9y?
Don't quite understand this question. I guess any host with good PHP and mySQL support?
WebTrooper
Regular

Post by WebTrooper »

Thanks for responding Little Hamster, I'm hoping this will be a popular thread.

As you can probably guess, I plan on providing hosting services. The purpose of this survey is to see what I'm up against. Of course it could backfire and simply draw attention to those I can't compete with :shock: , but we'll see.

I took a look at your provider and those are some pretty nice packages they offer. I won't comment just yet on what I can offer - don't want to create the bias just yet.

The fourth question about the ideal host is meant to be rather open ended. For instance, some might insist on Fantastico while others might want a free trial, then another might insist that SSL be available. I'm trying to find out what's most important to potential clients.

I said in relation to s9y because I may specialize in blog hosting, and s9y would probably be the script of choice, making it preinstalled and all.

Okay then, more respondants please!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
davecjr
Regular

Post by davecjr »

I am with eclipsehosting.com and have been with them for a couple of years.

- As far as trouble, I can't say their too bad but have asked for help a few times that they just told me I could do it myself, don't know if it's me or them! (Like upgrading PHP, instead of them just upgrading their servers, they just said I could do it myself. I hate to say I have never done it and I'm sure it would be easy for someone that works with linux everyday.) I keep having a core dump and I don't know why and they haven't helped me figure out why. Garving helped me out a few times and mentioned my server being slow but he did mention it may be bacause he is in Germany. Garving mentioned upgrading my PHP would help out with my blog and my gallery but I hate to mess it up, may just move instead! :lol:

- Seems slow at times and can't find host at times while checking email. Nothing serious that I know of though. My site is very low traffic as well.

- eclipsehosting.com

- I would prefer a host keeping up to date with things like php version and other server apps without individuals having to do it! A forum, live help, or kb would be nice like a lot of hosts seem to have and mine doesn't.

I'm looking into totalchoicehosting.com now! :lol:

I have another site hosted with site5.com and have been looking into moving my domain there, they have seemed very helpful so far.
WebTrooper
Regular

Post by WebTrooper »

Hi davecjr,

Are you refering to a virtual hosting account or a dedicated server?

You cannot upgrade php yourself with a virtual hosting account, it's a server-wide upgrade. Maybe they thought you were talking about a dedicated server? Anyway, no hosting provider is going to upgrade their server unless they get a lot of requests to do so, reason being that some of their clients websites are inevitably going to break.

Fact is, newer isn't always better, and php5 is a good example. 5 is still a bit unstable while php4 does everything it's supposed to with peak performance. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The same with Apache 2 over Apache 1.3. Apache 2 still has a lot of bugs to work out and I know some very popular scripts that simply won't run on Apache 2, though I don't recall which ones off hand.

If the server is slow it's due to one or both of 2 things:

A) They have a slow connection.
B) Their servers overloaded.

Both is very common.

I'm looking into totalchoicehosting.com now!
Yeah, totalchoicehosting.com looks like a good deal. I think I'll be able to out-do them but it won't be easy. Anyway, my servers won't be ready for at least another week or so.

Site5.com is a bit confusing, or maybe I'm just missing something. I don't see why anyone would choose anything other than their "Horsepower" package. Maybe it's just a little game their playing, who knows? :roll: At any rate, I don't see how they could offer such a deal without overloading their servers.
davecjr
Regular

Post by davecjr »

I wasn't really wanting to go to php5 but a newer php4. I had some problems and Garvin recommended me upgrading and I also read about some security concerns with php but not sure what version. I am on the 'Basic' plan listed on their plans listing.

I do have the horse power plan with site5.com!

Any idea on what all you will be offering when you do get yours up and running?! I've been thinking about moving for a while and a week or so wouldn't matter to me! I have a nother problem with eclipsehosting.com also, I started up my domain name with them and haven't found an easy way to move and keep my name!
WebTrooper
Regular

Post by WebTrooper »

I don't want to go too into detail about what I'll be offering, as someone reading this could jump the gun on me. But basically I'd keep it simple. No reseller accounts, dedicated servers or anything like that. I want to cater to common folks who just want their website(s) hosted. I will say however, the servers will not be overloaded and they will be very fast and dependable. Also, they will be running Red Hat ES with PHP, MySQL, FrontPage extension support and all that good stuff. :wink:

I can't promise live support as it would be way too costly. However, there would be both a support ticket system and open forum.
Last edited by WebTrooper on Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WebTrooper
Regular

Post by WebTrooper »

Forgot to address the domain name issue. That is your domain and they have to provide a way for you to access it. When you do access it, you can reset the name servers to point to your new hosting account. The new hosting account provider should provide the name servers to point it to. They would look something like:

ns1.newhostingprovider.com
ns2.newhostingprovider.com

They probably registered it under their own name, not to rip you off or anything but just to keep things simple for them selves. If you request it, they should change the ownership over to you and provide you the information you need - regisrar, username, password. I assure you, they are not the registrar but use an ICANN accredited registrar where they keep all their domains.

You can get some detailed information by doing a whois lookup. www.icann.com provides a good lookup service.

If you want to maintain your own domains, which I highly recommend, I'd suggest transfering to www.GoDaddy.com. Although I think most of their other services are way over priced, they are on the peoples side as far as domain names go. However, most registrars don't allow you to transfer domains out of their lair for 30, 45, or up to 60 days. It's a standard procedure.

Also, your domain should be locked to prevent others from maliciously transfering your domain. It's a new requirement that registrars do this with all domains, leaving it up to the owner to unlock it when they want to make changes, such as name servers or transfering. I'd recommend keeping the domain locked unless you want to make these changes.

BTW, GoDaddy.com adds a year to your ownership of the domain when you transfer to them.

Post by Guest »

I'd second webtrooper's recommendation of using godaddy as your registrar.
davecjr
Regular

Post by davecjr »

Switched to godaddy.com :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion now, where's the best host!
WebTrooper
Regular

Post by WebTrooper »

Congrats on the move to GoDaddy.com. I'm always glad to see people make the right move. Just curious, what was the other registrar?

As for the best hosting provider, I have it set up real soon. got the name server working today, and a few test sites installed. Still have a lot of configuring to do before I open the flood gates. :D
davecjr
Regular

Post by davecjr »

bulkregister.com - but I can't say much about them because the problem was mainly that my domain name was registered under my host's name instead of my own.
WebTrooper
Regular

Post by WebTrooper »

I took a peek at bulkregister.com. It appears they don't cater to individuals with just one or a few domains, more geared for webmasters and hosting providers. I won't be offering domain registration right away but I will soon. It's something I'll be making little or no profit on, but I think it's important to offer the service.
risc_*
Regular

Post by risc_* »

WebTrooper wrote:Are you refering to a virtual hosting account or a dedicated server?

You cannot upgrade php yourself with a virtual hosting account, it's a server-wide upgrade.
Ah but you can... shared hosting you can't upgrade yourself... virtual you can as can dedicated... of course share and virtual hosting can be semi-sementic.

To me shared hosting is you have a the basic generic plans. (think hostitcheap icdsoft, totalchoicehosting) (BTW: I've used and still do use hostitcheap and icdsoft... both have strengths and weakness, lack of ssl support made me move to hostitcheap for some things, while major downtime at hostitcheap lead me to a virtual hosting setup)... and the server is shared between a few hundred accounts.

A virtual server (jvds) gives you a virtual machine and your administor that virtual machine... install the servers and software you want... and you sare the physical machine bettwen 5 other users.

A dedicated host, to me, is you have a machine and the only thing on it is your stuff... very much like a virtual server but its just you.

As for me... I tend to have funny requirments... or wants
Apache 2.x - with SSL
PHP 5.x
PostgreSQL
qmail (netqmail) -- with ssl-pop & ssl-imap
FreeBSD
--- add some honey to the deal ---
Cpanel -- if thats needed
SpamAssisian
SSH logins
WebTrooper
Regular

Post by WebTrooper »

Looks like some clarification is in order here :D .

Just to make clear, unless the terms Dedicated or Server are used, I recognize it as shared hosting. I would never interpret the phrase Virtual Hosting Account to mean anything other than shared hosting.

I guess it (the prase) could be iterpreted as VDS, but it's not. I'm sure 95% of the people reading this thread knew from the start that we were discussing shared vs. dedicated.

Actually, the term generic could use a little defining. There are literally thousands of virtual hosting providers out there. While some of them could be lumped together as just another host, some go out of their way to provide premium service and attention to their clients needs. Of course there's the other end of the spectrum - those that provide hosting from their home computer on a DSL line. (Yes, they really exist!) I guess generic is to mean those in the middle, pick the cheapest and don't expect too much.

Just curious, what is it that makes you require Apache2 and PHP5? I ask because there are some very good scripts were written before Apache2 and thus won't run properly under it. As it's a complete rewrite from 1.3, I expect it will take some time for all these scripts to make the necessary changes. None of them that I know of however, require Apache2 or PHP5. You know the saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.