Trouble posting comments with captchas enabled on Mac

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
vincem
Regular

Trouble posting comments with captchas enabled on Mac

Post by vincem »

Hi,

My visitors are reporting being unable to leave comments from their Mac when the captchas are enabled in the SpamBlock. Has anybody had this problem before? I searched the forum but didn't come up with anything relevant to my issue... Using s9y 1.0Beta2 but it happened on previous versions too. Going to upgrade to 1.0 final now.

Cheers, Vince
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

i get a page not found there?
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Oops, sorry, you're too fast for me ;-)

I'm in the process of upgrading the blog to v. 1.0 final, it'll be over shortly! By the way, I've disabled the captchas for the first 5 days, so if testing from a Mac, you'd have to comment to a post that's at least 5 days old.

Cheers!
Vince
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Sadly I have no Mac, but it really should work if the people have their cookies enabled. Which browser are the people reporting to use?

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Hello Garvin,

They report using Safari and having cookies enabled. I've disabled the captchas temporarily and they have managed to comment, so I know it's the captchas and not spamblock as a whole...

I love version 1.0, by the way! Great job! :-)
wagwag
Regular

Post by wagwag »

Are all captcha's supposed to be 5 characters? I just loaded your blog on my Mac in Safari 1.3.2 and tried to comment. The first time I tried to post the comment, the captcha displayed was only 3 characters, which seemed odd. Not surprisingly, your blog rejected my post. However, the next captcha displayed was 5 characters and after I entered it I was able to comment on the post successfully.

Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but I can't figure out why your captcha shows the characters all in one image, where my blog shows 5 seperate images; one for each character of the captcha.
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Thanks for the feedback, wagwag.

I seem to remember getting captchas of 3, 4 and 5 characters, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll look into it though because you're right, maybe something is going wrong at that level.

As far as the letters appearing in 5 different images, no, never seen that on my Serendipity; don't kow which one is weird, mine or yours ;-)
wagwag
Regular

Post by wagwag »

I checked some other serendipity-powered blogs and it seems both the single image captcha and variable length captchas are completely normal. Perhaps I mistyped a letter in the short captcha on your blog the first time. In any case, the post was successful the second time, using Safari.

I wonder why my captchas are different. The font doesn't look as nice and crisp as yours either :(
wagwag
Regular

Post by wagwag »

To answer my own question, it seems I have a problem with freetype support in php. Freetype and GD jpeg support is required for the one-image captcha, therefore serendipity falls back to a different method of displaying the captchas on my blog.
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Interesting, I wonder if the same kind of thing could be responsible for my own Mac trouble. I'll have to find more Mac users and try to figure out how many manage to leave comments...
wagwag
Regular

Post by wagwag »

I think my problem was unrelated. I fixed my php problem so now my captchas appear just like yours, and they work just as well, from Safari or Firefox on my Mac, or from my main desktop pc.

I went back to your blog with Safari and posted another comment, this time being very careful about the captcha. It went through the first try. It's hard to say what is troubling your users, but it doesn't appear to be a Safari/Mac incompatibility problem.
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

it =true]worked for me too, from a mac :)

by the way, the spamblock plugin logs things, so you can look it up in the db or the logfile (depending on the log location setting in spamblocks configuration)...
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

Ok, thanks to a few of you, I now know that comments from Macs sometimes work. So the issue seems limited to specific Mac users.

jhermans, the spamblock log reported this in one case:

Code: Select all

[2006-06-18 04:52:35] - [REJECTED: Invalid captcha (Entered: jzmnx, Expected: )] - [#244, Name "Sigrid", E-Mail "", URL "", User-Agent "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6", IP 24.202.188.228] - [Ok, I really ... comment text here.]
The strange thing is that when the process fails, the "Expected" field of the log is often empty. As if the captchas hadn't properly loaded on her computer.

In another case (I believe it's yours wagwag) the log was:

Code: Select all

[2006-06-19 18:15:19] - [REJECTED: Invalid captcha (Entered: 7AB, Expected: 3NRY)] - [#235, Name "hello", E-Mail "", URL "", User-Agent "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6", IP 69.81.66.6] - [cute.]
Interestingly, you only saw 3 chracters but there were 5 indeed, and from what's indicated here, not even close to the ones you saw... I'm puzzled.

Glad you fixed your PHP and now have normal captchas :-)
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Actually, that's only 4 characters. The paren is just for grouping the value texts together.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
vincem
Regular

Post by vincem »

LOL. I knew I should have stayed in school a few more years! Sorry, yes, 4 characters ;-)