Problems whit directory

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
nathaniel6

Problems whit directory

Post by nathaniel6 »

Sorry for my english ;)

I've unzipped in my root in sub directory named blog

the link is www.myname.com/blog/index.php
and I go to my blog page ok
but in administation when I go to link "return in weblog"
the path is www.myname.com/blog
and in browser I see all my files in the directory blog
How can I link for index.php?

Thanks and sorry but I'm italian and speak not very good english :cry:
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

I'm going to assume you use Apache. If so, you can just use the DirectoryIndex configuration directive.
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

s9y should have created the directoryIndex part of .htaccess. Nathaniel, can you check if there's a) a .htaccess in your s9y installation-directory and b) the "AllowOverride" setting for your vhost in your apache's (are you using apache?) httpd.conf (if you're at a mass hoster, email him to ask). Then get back to us :-)
romulus
Regular

Post by romulus »

but the DirectoryIndex Option isn't a solution for this problem, it would only be a workaroung as the link should be correct in the first place, shouldn't it :?:
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

Most people don't want to have to append index.php to the request--how often do you go to google.com/index.html?

Either one should work, which one is linked to can be configured in the admin section. The only problem this circumvents is the security implications of having directory listings enabled... Though I'm (obviously) not an expert on our .htaccess so it's entirely possible we already disable that, too.
romulus
Regular

Post by romulus »

I think this whole directoryindex thing is a big turndown because you don't see possible errors with this option turned on. And I still think above "solution" is only a - though working - workaround. It should be checked why this is happening, maybe some other users don't want to use directoryindex with s9y because they are needing it somewhere else?
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

Of couse you see errors--all the DirectoryIndex directive does is instruct apache to attempt to serve the content in a given file by default instead of giving you a directory listing. What error does it suppress?

If users only want to use DirectoryIndex for a single directory, that is quite possible. You can either use an .htaccess file or in your httpd.conf with something like this:

Code: Select all

<Directory "/path/to/serendipity">
    DirectoryIndex index.php
</Directory>
This is happening because Apache is not configured properly... This isn't a hack to circumvent some deeply shrouded bug--saying that it is is like saying you need an internet connection to access s9y remotely. It will work on localhost without a connection just like Serendipity will work by manually typing 'index.php'