RSS import option to S9Y

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
hercules97

RSS import option to S9Y

Post by hercules97 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 am

Hi,
Hoping someone can give me a quick pointer on this... I am in the process of switching hosting providers and would like to migrate my existing Serendipity entries to a new installation of Serendipity on the new host. I understand that the recommended method of doing this is to go from DB to DB directly, but I do not have database access at that level on the new hosting service. I am therefore using the RSS export/import mechanism, which basically works, but has a few glitches I would like to overcome.
I have been using the Generic RSS Import setting since there is no Serendipity specific setting. It brings everything over but without the original dates intact. It also marks all imported posts as "Draft" even if the setting of "Status after import" is set to "Publish."
Is there a better import setting to use than "Generic RSS Import" to deal with the RSS XML file that Serendipity itself generates in the export process?
Thanks!

erAck
Regular

Re: RSS import option to S9Y

Post by erAck » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:08 pm

hercules97 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 am
I do not have database access at that level on the new hosting service.
Are you sure? All it needs is being able to import a database dump, usually offered at least through phpMyAdmin, see https://docs.phpmyadmin.net/en/latest/i ... xport.html. Also, if there is a backup/restore functionality that should include databases, so doing a backup once and inspecting what the database dump is and replacing it with / adding the original dump and restoring that may help. If the hoster doesn't provide either I'd rather find a better one and switch as fast as possible.