Tried to clone an installation - what did I miss?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
kybernator
Regular

Tried to clone an installation - what did I miss?

Post by kybernator »

Hello folks,

after quite a long time I am back to the forums, with a question. There was no need to enquire in the meantime, s9y just works, and I enjoy using it.
Now, our church congregation is sponsoring a new-to-be-founded daughter congregation, and I wanted them to have a nice website to start with, so I copied all our files, copied our database, adjusted some paths et voila, we have (more or less) a clone of our website.
Original: https://www.RFK-Gladbeck.de
New: https://www.RFK-Heiligengrabe.de (throws a certificate error at the moment)

-- and I can start deleting old content (mostly), and adding some new, or so I thought.

However, more or less is the troublesome phrase here :-(
While the site looks nearly the same, and a login into the backend is possible, some stuff (see below) is not quite all right.

My hope is, that someone more experienced than me sees it and has an idea which path might be configured wrong, or which files or directories have unintendedly had their permissions changed while copying.
Since there was no trouble for a long time, I have forgot most of what I knew about s9y's structures, file layout, theming etc :-(
(And I didn't even know an awful lot to start with...)

Frontend:
- Looks quite all right, except, strangely enough, the purple menu background on active items, and sideways of the items.

Backend:
--> There is a lot going on, the following are examples, there are many little things that are strange.

- In "Configure Plugins", the new site only offers the part of the menu that has to do with "Sidebar Plugins", and there is no button "Event Plugins".

- Updating plugins does not work with the "Update All"-button, it has no visible effect. The attempt to update plugins one by one results in being returned to the "Configure Plugins"-page with the comment "Data successfully loaded" (in German, the correct english comment may differ).

- There is no WYSIWYG-editor active, though it is selected under "Personal Settings" - since I copied everything, I would have guessed it wass copied as well.

- "Add media" -- on the original website, I have buttons to change between upload and download; on the copy, the upload- and the download mask are on the same page, one below the other.

I am very willing to try things out, provide additional information and so on. The site is hosted with manitu in Germany.
Be@t
Regular

Re: Tried to clone an installation - what did I miss?

Post by Be@t »

I cannot answer your posted questions but I ask myself "Why the hell did you not install S9Y totally new instead of clone-it?" I'm sure you would not face this problems. Your existing Installation is the perfect example to build up a new installation. Install S9Y, add the needed plugins (configure same as in you installation) and you're nearly done. This takes not more then one hour and you have the confidence of a fresh and perfect working environment.

PS: Your website looks as you would speak german (as I do). A lot of developers are german native and it's way easier to help in mother tongue. So please post next time in "Generelles in Deutsch" :wink:
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

Be@t wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:32 pm [...] "Why the hell did you not install S9Y totally new instead of clone-it?" I'm sure you would not face this problems. Your existing Installation is the perfect example to build up a new installation. Install S9Y, add the needed plugins (configure same as in you installation) and you're nearly done. [...]
Sure. But you gotta know what you are doing, copying the theme, the plugins, part of the content (sidebar stays the same,two or so static pages also, menu...) etc.
And I don't know what to do anymore, had so many other things to do since I set up the site, so I am starting looking at s9y again like I never saw it before :-(
thh
Regular

Post by thh »

kybernator wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 pmI wanted them to have a nice website to start with, so I copied all our files, copied our database, adjusted some paths et voila, we have (more or less) a clone of our website.
That should do the trick (assuming you adjusted all / the right paths, and changed the database settings).
kybernator wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 pmNew: https://www.RFK-Heiligengrabe.de (throws a certificate error at the moment)
The page seems to be offline currently.
kybernator wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 pmBackend:
--> There is a lot going on, the following are examples, there are many little things that are strange.
Strange indeed; some (most) issues look like javascript problems (that shouldn't arise if you copied all files over).

Just an idea off the top of my head: do you use some blocker on your browser like NoScript with a whitelist for your old site, but not your new one?
kybernator
Regular

Post by kybernator »

thh wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:50 pm
kybernator wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 pmI wanted them to have a nice website to start with, so I copied all our files, copied our database, adjusted some paths et voila, we have (more or less) a clone of our website.
That should do the trick (assuming you adjusted all / the right paths, and changed the database settings).
Thank you. That means I was not too far off from a sane procedure.
kybernator wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 pmNew: https://www.RFK-Heiligengrabe.de (throws a certificate error at the moment)
The page seems to be offline currently.
Yes, I see that as well, now. Meanwhile a kind forum guy is working on it for me, must be his doing. Great, something is happening now :-)
kybernator wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:17 pmBackend:
Strange indeed; some (most) issues look like javascript problems (that shouldn't arise if you copied all files over).
Just an idea off the top of my head: do you use some blocker on your browser like NoScript with a whitelist for your old site, but not your new one?
No blocker used, but thanks for the suggestion.