CKEditor

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Be@t
Regular

CKEditor

Post by Be@t »

Many of us work with integrated WYSIWYG-Editor(s). But that's not free of troubles. I would really appreciate if a developer might have a look into this topic. The following points need clarification:

- What's the difference between Seredipity- and CK-Editor (both listed in User-Options-Menue)
- What's the purpose of the "CKEditor Plus"-Plugin?
- The integrated CKEditor is V4.4, actual is 4.13. Is there any posibility for an update?
- Is it possible to implement CKEditor-Plugins (e.g. additional Smileys)?

In addition, there are some open problems with CKEditor (as example: deleting of script-code. Also other Threads about problems with CKEditor can be found in the forum).

I think a proper functionality of a WYSIWYG-Editor is crucial for Beginners and new users of Serendipity. And in my humle opinion, there should be only one internal WYSIWIG-Editor. The selection in User-Options should be reduced to (1) no WYSIWYG-Editor, (2) WYSIWIG-Editor with small Button-List and (3) WYSIWYG-Editor with full-Button-List. Now there is a list with 10 posibilities... and nobody knows, what they are exactly doing.

Thanks in advance for any effort!
yellowled
Regular

Re: CKEditor

Post by yellowled »

Be@t wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 pm - What's the difference between Seredipity- and CK-Editor (both listed in User-Options-Menue)
- What's the purpose of the "CKEditor Plus"-Plugin?
- The integrated CKEditor is V4.4, actual is 4.13. Is there any posibility for an update?
- Is it possible to implement CKEditor-Plugins (e.g. additional Smileys)?
– There is no "Serendipity-Editor". "Serendipity" in the Options menu is a configuration of the CK Editor that comes with s9y as a WYSIWYG editor. The configuration refers mostly to the CK editor's toolbar, but maybe (I'm not sure) also to the loaded plugins.
– I think the idea behind CK Editor plus was to be able to provide more current updates of CK editor through a plugin (which is easier to update than the s9y core). However, I'm pretty sure the plugin is unmaintained. I would recommend to not use it. (Yes, it should be deprecated then. We need to discuss this with the core dev team.)
– Of course it is possible, but as with everything, it needs a developer willing to spend time on it and a release to ship it.
– It is technically possible (I think we use some plugins), but I think we kind of agreed to keep the bundled CK Editor "basic". Again, all this needs to be maintained, and that takes time. It takes less time with a basic configuration.

Also, and I say this with all respect to your interest in fixing your issues with CK editor, I'm not really sure if that many people actually use CK editor or would require additional functionality, and we kind of have to keep an eye on what makes sense for the majority of users. I don't think it would be a good idea to "overload" the CK editor bundled with the s9y core.

YL