Adding Modules

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
fredsfollies
Regular

Adding Modules

Post by fredsfollies »

Is it possible to add modules to the vertical menu, i.e. where the calendar, shoutbox, administration login. If so, how do you do it?

Along the same lines, where would I change the headers for those modules. As an Example, I would like to change the header Blog Administration to just Administration.
yellowled
Regular

Re: Adding Modules

Post by yellowled »

fredsfollies wrote:Is it possible to add modules to the vertical menu, i.e. where the calendar, shoutbox, administration login. If so, how do you do it?
The only thing you can add to a menu are URLs (to entries, to pages, i.e. the login page etc.), not sidebar plugins. (I assume that's what you mean by “modules”?)
fredsfollies wrote:Along the same lines, where would I change the headers for those modules. As an Example, I would like to change the header Blog Administration to just Administration.
If a sidebar plugin (we don't call them modules) offers the possibility to change the header (not all of them do), it should be an option in the plugin's configuration (click the little gears icon for the corresponding plugin on the plugins page).

YL
fredsfollies
Regular

Post by fredsfollies »

Yes, I meant sidebar plugins when I mention modules. If the plugin does not have an option to change its header, where does the text from the header come from? If I can find that, then I should be able to change what the text is?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

fredsfollies wrote:If the plugin does not have an option to change its header, where does the text from the header come from?
From a constant in a language file. Serendipity has been translated to multiple languages (“localized”). Frankly, being able to change the heading for a sidebar plugin is not asked very frequently, so it makes sense to just use a standard heading in the blog's language.
fredsfollies wrote:If I can find that, then I should be able to change what the text is?
Technically, you could edit the language files (usually found in the subdirectory lang/ of the plugin directory). However, that doesn't make much sense since they will be overwritten with the next update to the plugin. Some of these use “standard” constants which are part of the core language files (found in the lang/ directory of the Serendipity installation). That's because using as few constants as possible is considered a best practice in PHP.

Also, note that you will have to mind using the proper encoding for the lang files in your text editor. Some languages provide extra unicode versions of the lang files (usually in the UTF-8/ directory).

I would not recommend editing the lang files, however. Very prone to error.

YL
fredsfollies
Regular

Post by fredsfollies »

Thanks again for your help and I had already checked into the language file but had not found the line item to change. At any rate, if someone doesn't help me with the 500 Internal Server error post I made yesterday, I will have to uninstall the script and try to find another weblog. I have to be able to add media to the entries and it appears that it is not happening for me.