How to move the blog

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Vgs
Regular

How to move the blog

Post by Vgs »

Hi everyone... thank you for taking time to read my post...
I have installed the blog on a folder into the main domain, but I'd like move it to a brand new dedicated domain.
Of course I would not lose all the posts and articles, but I'm not familiar with such kind of job and I'm really scared to have to reinstall all...

Could you light the way to do this safely?
Thank you for any help

Alina
onli
Regular

Re: How to move the blog

Post by onli »

Are you staying with the same hoster?
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Yes... not registered the domain yet, but will be the same ISP...
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

ISP? Not sure we understood each other.

Okay. If you just change the URL, then you don't have to do much. Just go into the s9y configuration and change the blog url to the new url, and outside of serendipity let the new URL point to the same IP you used so far.

If you also change the server, you will have to also move your installation to your new hoster. That means moving the files over, and importing your database. How that works exactly depends on your hoster, he should offer you a phpmyadmin instance to do that easily.

The good thing is that you can do all of that while keeping your current install active, giving you the time to get it running.
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Thank you... (ISP=internet service provider, so, the same hosting server)...

Ok, I'll try to save the database and then make to install from scratch the blog...

Alina
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

Question: if after install the blog into the new domain I set the Mysql database pointing to the same as is now, can works?

MYSQL.jpg
MYSQL.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 7304 times
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

ISP for me is the one giving you internet at home, that's why it does not go together.

If you change the server, but not the hoster, then it depends on how your hoster did setup the MySQL database. It could be that the same values will work.
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

You're right... sorry... confused the acronims...

Anyway, I tried to point the sql database to the previous one, but no success... of course... it makes the new installation crashed and had to reinstall again... fortunately is easy and fast, but I guess I'll need to rewrite all the post manually...

I also tried Installatronhttp://installatron.com/serendipity?locale=itbut it seems not working, or I'm not able to make it work properly...
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

but I guess I'll need to rewrite all the post manually..
That's never necessary. You can always import the old database. And you can also import the entries from the rss feed.

for the future: Tou can change the database access data by editing the file serendipity_config_local.inc.php. There is no need to reinstall for that.
Vgs
Regular

Post by Vgs »

onli wrote:
but I guess I'll need to rewrite all the post manually..
That's never necessary. You can always import the old database. And you can also import the entries from the rss feed.

for the future: Tou can change the database access data by editing the file serendipity_config_local.inc.php. There is no need to reinstall for that.
I'm just trying to import the old exported database, but the names are different, I mean, I opened the .sql file with an editor and I realize there are lots of items which refer to the old location of the blog... obviously...

I'm trying to change them but it's almost impossible... anyway, the "old" blog is still there working perfectly, so I can reinstall the blog to the new location and then?... what should I modify into the mentioned file above?

Thanks
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

So, your hoster gave you a database for the new server. Into that you import the database from your old blog. You don't have to change all the links, only the blogUrl in the options table - but if you use a proper text editor you can just change them all at once with the replace function.

So, export the database, change the blog url, import into the new database, install serendipity on the new server, point it to the new database.