Newbie Questions

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
lazza
Regular

Newbie Questions

Post by lazza »

Hello All,

I've had my first look around the forum today, and am very new to Serendipity in general. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that uses Serendipity so I was hoping that I could get some feedback with regard to my needs.

I'm looking to set up a blog for my B&B/farmhouse. Although I am not so tech savvy, I find joy in doing the research myself and I have the time for a new project.

I wanted something php based, easy to use (for the whole family), simple design, lots of plugins (perhaps for an online store at a later date), and safe. So far my research has led me to Serendipity.

Looking forward to any and all feedback.
Thanks in advance!
-L
yellowled
Regular

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by yellowled »

lazza wrote:I wanted something php based, easy to use (for the whole family), simple design, lots of plugins (perhaps for an online store at a later date), and safe. So far my research has led me to Serendipity.
Spoiler alert: this is the s9y forum, no one is going to tell you to not use Serendipity. :wink:

“Easy to use” is relative. So far, almost anyone in here got the hang of it. “Simple design” really depends on the theme you're going to use, but most of our newer (recommended) themes should work for you, maybe with a little tweaking here and there. Our record in terms of security is pretty great, so yeah.

“Lots of plugins”, that's the one we don't do. We just don't have the ressources for it. This is a small community, so we focus on having (if possible) one plugin per task to keep the plugins maintainable. There are definitely things for which we don't have a plugin at all (you can always try to convince a plugin author to create one, though) – I'm afraid there is no shop plugin, for instance.

YL
Imajica
Regular

Post by Imajica »

lazza wrote:I wanted something php based, easy to use (for the whole family), simple design, lots of plugins (perhaps for an online store at a later date), and safe. So far my research has led me to Serendipity.
-L
on the easy scale Serendipity is pretty easy.. I've been able to custom it with the available plugins and using static pages been able to use it pretty much as a CMS

As far as a cart? well at the moment I am working on a cubecart site that I put a very basic skin on and I am attempting to fit into a Serendipity static page

so far it's operating properly

The other possibility is to use something like cubecart and skin it to match Serendipity

John
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Imajica wrote:The other possibility is to use something like cubecart and skin it to match Serendipity
I have done this many times... not with cubecart specifically, but other e-commerce platforms. The s9y world is powered by a few different solutions (serendipity itself, phpBB, github) but they are each "skinned" to look alike. I have personally never needed a shopping cart interacting with the serendipty database.
=Don=
lazza
Regular

Post by lazza »

Thank you both for the helpful replies.
“Easy to use” is relative. So far, almost anyone in here got the hang of it. “Simple design” really depends on the theme you're going to use, but most of our newer (recommended) themes should work for you, maybe with a little tweaking here and there.
I think with a bit of practice the easy-to-use aspect will come.That sounds great. I'll probably only stick to the easy themes - I don't want/need anything too complicated.
“Lots of plugins”, that's the one we don't do.
I think all I would need is something pretty basic. Although some of these look more complicated than I need, it was this that sparked my plugin interest. But I think this one will do just the job!

As far as a cart? well at the moment I am working on a cubecart site that I put a very basic skin on and I am attempting to fit into a Serendipity static page
Thanks for this John, I look forward to having a look at it when it's done.

:)
lazza
Regular

Post by lazza »

You'll all be delighted to know that I have begun my Serendipity adventure! :)