How to fix next page error?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Christine
Regular

How to fix next page error?

Post by Christine »

I have an issue where if I click 'next page' to go to page 2 of a category, a tag, or search results, I get a blank page saying 'No entries to print'.

I've looked at a few answers on the forum, but they don't seem to apply. I'm using (a fork of) the Artistic theme, if that helps.
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: How to fix next page error?

Post by Don Chambers »

Christine - what version of serendipity are you using? That sounds vaguely familiar - as if it was an error of a past version that has since been corrected. Perhaps you can upgrade to the latest (2.0.3) if you are not already using it?

It would also be helpful if you could post a URL to your site.
=Don=
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

I'm on 2.02. I'll try 2.03, but it might take a little while as I've customised quite a few things and want to be sure I don't overwrite anything.
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

I just realised the Artistic template is pretty old - could this cause any problems?
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Yes, as the theme is building the pagination links. You could try with 2k11 to be sure.
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

OK, I've upgraded and the problem remains.

I actually forgot that I did already test this with various themes, and the problem was still there. Just checked again and yep, the theme makes no difference.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Christine wrote:I actually forgot that I did already test this with various themes, and the problem was still there. Just checked again and yep, the theme makes no difference.
Did you clear the template cache in the maintenance section of the backend (after switching themes)? Can you please post a URL to the live blog where this happens?

YL
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Just tried that and no change.

The blog is not live but I could PM you a link + login if you like.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Are you using URL rewriting?
=Don=
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Yes, the following rules are in my .htaccess for categories and search (I can't see anything for freetag):

Code: Select all

RewriteRule ^(categories/[0-9a-z\.\_!;,\+\-\%]+) index.php?/$1 [NC,L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^search/(.*) index.php?url=/search/$1 [L,QSA]
There are a couple more general rules in there, let me know if you need to see more. I don't really know what is relevant or not.
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

It turns out my problem was the same as here: http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?t=15207 - I had removed the prefix from the entries permalink. Add a prefix fixed it :wink:.

I was afraid that meant I'd lose my preferred url structure for the entries, but with the Custom Permalinks plugin, it's fine, I can still leave out the prefix in each entry url.

ETA: The only issue is now comments don't show up when you go to an entry with a custom permalink, which is 195 posts in total. Is there any way to have the comments show without me having to change the permalink of every post, which is a) a lot of work, and b) not the url that I want for them anyway.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Christine wrote:The only issue is now comments don't show up when you go to an entry with a custom permalink, which is 195 posts in total. Is there any way to have the comments show without me having to change the permalink of every post, which is a) a lot of work, and b) not the url that I want for them anyway.
Even related tag entries won't show up. So this is part of the structure, I assume. But the default entries archives view is still there, with all those attributes, eg "/serendipity/archives/54-test-custom-permalinks.html".

Can you give me a URL to see what you mean by this?
For what exact case do you use the custom permalinks plugin? Is that as to be some kind of "poor mans static pages"? Is it to display old content you have ported?
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Timbalu wrote:Can you give me a URL to see what you mean by this?
It's not currently live as many things aren't ready, but I'll PM you a URL and login.
Timbalu wrote:For what exact case do you use the custom permalinks plugin? Is that as to be some kind of "poor mans static pages"? Is it to display old content you have ported?
Yes (to the latter), I imported all my posts from another blogging host and used it to rename them. Also, I used it to get rid of things like commas and, where characters like 'é' were left out, I replaced them with non-diacritic versions like 'e' (although I'm guess I could probably define this somewhere so it happens automatically). I also didn't like permalink/ in the URL and so made everything /blog/post-title.html.

Just to clarify that a bit better - /blog/ is the root folder of my Serendipity installation. permalink/ was the prefix originally in the Entry URL structure. So all the posts were imported as .../blog/permalink/post-title.html. I removed permalink/ in the Permalinks configuration for the Entry URL structure - not knowing it would cause the issue I originally described in this thread. Then when I was editing each entry, I removed permalink/ from in the Custom Permalinks field.

I'm really hoping there is a way I can keep the post names as /blog/post-title.html, I just find it a lot neater and as I mentioned I would have to manually change a bunch of post titles as well as find and change links to other posts that might be in some of the entries.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

We just added a S9y-2.1-Dev description note to the Permalink fields, which says:
Please note that you have to use a prefix so that Serendipity can properly map the URL to the proper action. You may change the prefix to any unique name, but not remove it. This applies to all path prefix definitions.
This, since we have this issue coming up around once a year and it seems to be not clear enough with the current state.

Do not remove the path prefix completely. Without a prefix, Serendipity will think that the normal blog access page is requested because of the regular expression matches.
And do not touch it when using the custom permalink plugin anyway.
The custom permalink plugin redirect has the restriction already mentioned. I currently have no idea on how to solve them, but I'll try to think about it.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Thanks, Timbalu. I'm starting to accept there's probably no way around this, and think I can find a prefix I can live with. I'll just have to dive in and change all the post names. Is there a particular place the post names are stored, so maybe I can do a batch replace?