Feature request: native image galleries

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
yellowled
Regular

Feature request: native image galleries

Post by yellowled »

I'm not sure if this should be a core feature or a plugin, so I thought general discussions would fit best.

This is a feature that (as far as I remember) got requested quite often by users, yet we still don't have it (don't make me look if WP has it!) – native image galleries. I also discussed this with Robert lately who expressed a wish to be able to do this more easily and to have a more robust solution.

Yes, some themes offer helper classes for it. No, it does not need to be integrated with the lightbox plugin (it should support using lightboxes, but I don't see a problem there). But there is no nice way to just add a few images to a post or page and forget about them. Yes, you can add 10 images that are floated left and pray that it holds up well across multiple screen resolutions, but it usually does not. The easiest way to make it fail is to use images with different orientations.

Also, it is not a good user experience to add 10 images to a post. You have to add them seperately, which means going through the “insert image” process 10 times, which is ridiculous. How about …
  • a “Gallery” button in the entry editor that would open the media db
  • and you could just flip through it and mark images
  • then you'd hit a “Create gallery” button and – BAM!
  • s9y would just insert the proper markup for the gallery
  • and have some fallback styles in /templates/default/style_fallback.css
  • but themes could still override those styles because serendipity.css is awesome!
Huh? Sound good? Anyone up for implementing that? Thoughts, ideas, +1s? (Don't tell me you're opposed. How could you be opposed to this? Yes, of course we can still discuss it! No, we don't have to do it this way if you have a better idea!)

It does have no downsides (that I know of until now), but it adds a unique feature that people will love! I'm even going to provide the markup and styles for it! (I don't think it needs JS.) I just need someone to implement the friggin’ PHP stuff because I'm too stupid to do it myself! (I totally would!)

YL
DabblingInWebDesign
Regular

Re: Feature request: native image galleries

Post by DabblingInWebDesign »

I think it would be great as a feature!
onli
Regular

Re: Feature request: native image galleries

Post by onli »

+1

But careful: Whoever implements this has to modify the ML, add another state. This needs a careful approach to not end in a trainwreck. Carefully investigate how that works currently.