Feedback wanted: Features section of new website

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.

Which feature block design do you like more?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:56 pm

One
50%
Two
50%

Total votes: 6

onli
Regular

Feedback wanted: Features section of new website

Post by onli »

Some of you know that we are working on a new website design and structure. We have a specific building block where we'd like to hear some feedback, because the two options we have both have their drawbacks and positive aspects: the feature block.

Have a look at the current website. One thing we'd like to preserve is that the page shall present some features of serendipity, just with better text and presentation. For that, we have two designs:

One, Two

Note that the relevant difference is the first section under the colored section, the one called "Serendipity stands for" in the first and "Features" in the second. Also that the screenshots in both versions are temporary and to be improved regardless.

Please have a look, vote for which you like more and let a comment if you want to qualify your vote. The poll will remain open one week so that we can then move on.
thh
Regular

Re: Feedback wanted: Features section of new website

Post by thh »

onli wrote:Please have a look, vote for which you like more and let a comment if you want to qualify your vote.
Die erste Version wirkt aufgeräumter und optisch angenehmer. Sie erlaubt auch etwas mehr Text, also einen Teaser, und nicht nur Schlagworte.

In der zweiten Fassung bleibt nur sehr wenig Platz für Text. Das wirkt sehr gedrängt und führt dann auch leicht zu Schwierigkeiten mit dem Zeilenumbruch, sieht daher nicht so schön aus.

Ich würde daher zusätzlich zur Version 1 einige Screenshots anbieten. Genug Platz auf der Seite wäre meines Erachtens.

----

The first version looks better - more tidy and visually more pleasant. It also allows a little more text, like a teaser, and not just some slogans.

In the second version there is very little room for text. That makes a very crowded impression and leads to some troubles with the spacing of the text, so does not look as nice as the first example.

I would enhance version 1 with some screenshots. There is enough space for that, in my opinion.
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

onli wrote:Please have a look, vote for which you like more and let a comment if you want to qualify your vote. The poll will remain open one week so that we can then move on.
Too many pictures in version 2 and a bit of redundancy. Pictures explaining feature appear at the very top as well.

I voted for "one".

Cheers

Dirk
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

thh wrote:I would enhance version 1 with some screenshots. There is enough space for that, in my opinion.
There are screenshots in the top section of the page. So you mean like an additional row of screenshots after the second section?

(Which, by the way, are not supposed to look the way they look in the first screenshot, which apparently has been taken in Firefox. That bug has since been fixed.)

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Sorry Matthias. I'll update the screenshot now.

Edit: No, I don't see the update in the branch. Are you sure the patch is pushed?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:No, I don't see the update in the branch. Are you sure the patch is pushed?
Yes, but not in the branch, only in master. Doesn't matter, I think most people can tell that it's a bug. Just wanted to point out that it's already been ironed out.

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Guys, you are as decisive as we were ;)

Still, thanks a lot for the vote and feedback. I think we know what to do now.
DabblingInWebDesign
Regular

Post by DabblingInWebDesign »

I'm sure this post is coming way too late, but I think 1 is better. 2 is too crowded and overwhelming. 1 is cleaner and seems easier to consume and navigate.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

We made some changes to it but basically went with 1: http://docs.s9y.org/
DabblingInWebDesign
Regular

Post by DabblingInWebDesign »

Very nice. I approve.
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Looks good :) .

One thing that hugely affects my decision in choosing a blogging platform or CMS is what their own site looks like. This site gives a good feeling for how well structured and simple Serendipity is.