Private blog

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Fabien
Regular

Private blog

Post by Fabien »

Hi,

Is there a way to create a private blog with s9y, ie only registered users can read and write the blog?

Except of course creating by hand a htaccess & a htpasswd file that duplicate the member area.

Have a nice day,
Fabien
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)
yellowled
Regular

Re: Private blog

Post by yellowled »

Fabien wrote:Is there a way to create a private blog with s9y, ie only registered users can read and write the blog?
Of course.

The plugin Extended properties for entries (serendipity_event_entryproperties, part of the core in 2.0) can assign read/write permissions based on (as far as I can see) users and groups. Please note that both can limit the article overview's performance! There's also the (I believe) core feature of category read/write permissions, but that would have a performance impact as well. (All these performance impacts are related to the fact that these permissions need specific SQL queries. I'm not sure how theoretical they are.)

Also note that if you were to limit access to your blog (especially backend access, which is needed for being able to write), (self-)registering new users and the security implications associated with that should be something you think about. There are a few plugins to help with that as well, but I can't say I have much experience with them …

YL
Fabien
Regular

Re: Private blog

Post by Fabien »

Thank you Yellowled!

I want to restrict frontend access. If I have well understood your answer, I have to put all readers of the blog in a user group and verify that every entry can be seen only by this group (and administrators and writers).

I suppose that the information is stored in the "s9y_entryproperties" table. So I can easily modify the access to all the existing entries.

Cheers,
Fabien
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)