Embed RSS parsed entry links in static pages

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Huhu
Regular

Embed RSS parsed entry links in static pages

Post by Huhu »

Hello!

While there is a RSS parser as a sidebar plug-in, which would be the best way to integrate a newsfeed into the bottom of a static page? Displaying the headers of the last four recent entries; maybe even with a thumbnail; for example.
Usually, I would use a rss aggregator like magpie and <include> it into the code, but that wouldn't work with specific Static Pages (=embedding the feed.php through the entry editor, not directly into the index.tpl), would it?
Post-apocalyptic Jugger sports: What is Jugger? Video I Free ebook on the sport
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Embed RSS parsed entry links in static pages

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

It might work if you use the smartymarkup event plugin and then put a {serendipity_showPlugin} smarty call to display a RSS sidebar nugget instance into the staticpage.

If that won't work, one could create an event plugin that registers a {rssfeed} smarty function which performs the RSS parsing, and then you could create a distinct staticpage template that you pick, where you embed that functionality.

Maybe one other way would be to use a widget/scriptlet to embed an iframe or javascript which displays RSS feeds. I believe Feedly has a widget that displays RSS feed items like that, might be the easiest method.

HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Huhu
Regular

Re: Embed RSS parsed entry links in static pages

Post by Huhu »

Hej!

Thanks a lot, the Smarty Markup + serendipity_showPlugin variant seems to work! Let's see how it melts into the layout, but seems okay. Only thing seems to be using HTML tags inside the entry body while activating the Markup transformations option.
Post-apocalyptic Jugger sports: What is Jugger? Video I Free ebook on the sport