2.0.1 fullscreen?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
rgmiller1974

2.0.1 fullscreen?

Post by rgmiller1974 »

Hello,

I've been using 1.x for several years and just started experimenting with v2.0.1. One thing I noticed right away was that, unlike 1.x, 2.0.1 no longer expands to fill the entire width of the browser. It appears to have a maximum width and if the browser window is wider than that, then there's just empty space on either side of the content. Is that the intended behavior, or did I miss a config option somewhere? (This is with the 2k11 theme, BTW.)

Thanks,
-Ross
yellowled
Regular

Re: 2.0.1 fullscreen?

Post by yellowled »

rgmiller1974 wrote:It appears to have a maximum width and if the browser window is wider than that, then there's just empty space on either side of the content. Is that the intended behavior, or did I miss a config option somewhere? (This is with the 2k11 theme, BTW.)
Yes, that is intended behaviour in 2k11 and most other contemporary blog themes. The reasoning behind it is that long lines of text make it hard for the human eye to focus.

YL
ICE
Regular

Post by ICE »

Nevertheless, i've done it: http://www.waterboelles.de/
It is not that bad ... in my opinion ...
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Well, of course it always depends on some variables.

You're using all three columns. That is something a theme author can not assume for all users. However, a theme author needs to provide a solid code base that works for most users, especially with a default theme.

I can currently only calculate the resulting line length in your modified version. 52% of a 95% on 1920px is about 948px. 82px for margin, border and padding makes 866px, which is about 52em for the line length of #content in your theme. The rule of thumb is that 35-45em is a good line length in terms of readability.

Of course, this is not an exact science, and there are other factors detemining the readability of a blog. However, as I stated before: a theme author can not foresee and cover all possible circumstances, which is even more true in a default theme that is built for flexibility.

On the other hand, 2k11 makes it very simple for users to customize the theme, especially with user user.css generator. Think of 2k11's standard dimensions as recommendations, solid baseline values that should cover about anybody's needs. If you feel that these do not suit your personal taste or individual needs, you're free to change them. You also have a simple tool to help you with that.

YL