Add margin or padding after paragraph end

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
meritweb
Regular

Add margin or padding after paragraph end

Post by meritweb »

Hi - we are using the default theme right now for our blog until we upgrade and perhaps customize or our theme.

Until then, how do I add margins / padding at the bottom of each paragraph? I want there to be some space in between paragraphs to make it easier to read, but the default theme doesn't seem to be doing that on our blog. Attached is the screenshot of one article.

Is there any way I can go into the HTML of the article (or the code of the template) to add this spacing?

Thanks!
Attachments
Paragraph-Spacing.png
Paragraph-Spacing.png (232.55 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Add margin or padding after paragraph end

Post by Timbalu »

hmm - just as a quicky - normally by adding some #content p {margin: values; padding values;} or so into. (*)
It is some work to to this right and I am not sure you are going to stay with that template any further, since you now used the templates/default/style.css and I even wonder how you did that...

The standard template will change with recent updates to Serendipity to bulletproof and current 1.6.2 to.1.7.1 versions also have the 2k11 theme on board, which is much much nicer and also provides lots of fixes!

So you should really update your very outdated Serendipity version v.1.1.2! This weekend the 1.7.1 (recommended!) will be out and if you search this forum, you will find lots of threads regarding a safe upgrade.

(*) modern browser can do Developer live debugging on CSS style code, so there you can try out things first, until you put that to your own templates stylesheet file.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
meritweb
Regular

Post by meritweb »

Once again, thanks for your help Ian. We have it on our agenda to upgrade, but we're just not 100% sure how to do that. Not too technical on our end. Since we've caused almost all the other themes to crash - I'm worried if we upgrade and something goes wrong - we'll lose everything.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Just as an example:

Code: Select all

.serendipity_entry_body > p {
    margin: 2em 1em; /*first is top and bottom, second left and right */
    padding-bottom: 1em;
}
to put at the end of your stylesheet.

To save your "whatever" template, copy the template dir and rename it "newname". Then open the info.txt file and rename the template name in there too. Then go to your backend (may need a further reload) and set that new theme in the styles section. Now your template is upgrade save!

The other thing is easy, and ~might~ do without any errors, but first backup the whole blog and the database, thiswise you will probably never have any losts.

Update the servers database to be mysql 5, not 4, if using mysql! Migrate the old to the new. This might be tricky... Also make sure the server has a PHP 5.2.6 to 5.4.x version running (best is highest available version).

How to use the Serendipity Autoupdate to update to new version 1.7.2:
  • install the Spartacus event plugin, if not already have
  • install the Dashboard event plugin,
  • install the Serendipity Autoupdate event plugin,
  • update all plugins, if any, via plugin management upper slight rose button links,
  • and point yourself to the backends startpage to start the automatic upgrade.
  • let it run, after end, you will be redirected to the upgrader/installer page
  • at last, you will have to start the database updates or update functions via button (auto recommended)
If anything errors, come back to get help!
If that will be too much of a hassle, you can easily switch back to the old.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian