failed validation... site not working properly

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
omegaman66
Regular

failed validation... site not working properly

Post by omegaman66 »

Serendipty stopped working! I could login but then get kicked out apon trying to click any link in the admin area. I logged in after that with the remember me check box and I was able to navigate the admin control panel after that but could not upload media or make a post.

So I click on verify installation and I get a whole list of files that are said to fail validation. About 100 files. I uploaded/over wrote the first one on the list and then two others via ftp and reran the verification after the uploads each time and I still get the same list of files as not valid?

Anyone have a clue what is going on!
yellowled
Regular

Re: failed validation... site not working properly

Post by yellowled »

omegaman66 wrote:Serendipty stopped working!
So what did you do before it stopped working? Nothing? In that case you might want to check with your web hosting provider if they maybe changed something with the server (a PHP update comes to mind).
omegaman66 wrote:So I click on verify installation and I get a whole list of files that are said to fail validation. About 100 files. I uploaded/over wrote the first one on the list and then two others via ftp and reran the verification after the uploads each time and I still get the same list of files as not valid?
Could also be a permissions isssue, most likely to the directories those files are stored in. See http://www.s9y.org/11.html#A15 and http://www.s9y.org/11.html#A20 for details.

Other than that, more informations about the server, PHP, database and Serendipity version, any recent updates you made etc. always help to narrow the possible source of error down.

YL
omegaman66
Regular

Post by omegaman66 »

I moved to a high version of php.

Serendipity 1.6 and PHP 5.3.13

I assume it is probably the php version since that is what changed. If so how can I fix serendipity to work with version 1.6?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

I would suggest an update to the latest s9y version 1.6.2 plus checking the permissions of files and directories. Your PHP version should not be an issue, although it might of course be possible that upgrading PHP changed something with PHP. I wouldn't know.

YL
omegaman66
Regular

Post by omegaman66 »

Reverted back to 5.2 and everything works but strangely validation fails with either php 5.2 or 5.3! Had other issues on other parts of the website as well. I made some simple pages with php and they didn't work at all when using 5.3!

Uggghhh!
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Well, the validation basically only checks if all files shipped with the s9y core are present in your installation, i.e. on the server and accessible for the web server user. So it's i.e. going to fail if you deliberately delete files (themes you don't need, for example). Same if permissions are screwed up.

YL
omegaman66
Regular

Post by omegaman66 »

The files are there, I even uploaded three of them and overwrote the ones that were on the server in case they had been changed by someone or something other than me. I have not edited most or maybe all of those files. Says the files have been changed or corrupted after each file. It doesn't say they are missing.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

omegaman66 wrote:Says the files have been changed or corrupted after each file. It doesn't say they are missing.
I don't think the validation check actually is capable to differentiate between missing or corrupted, but never mind. Depending on how you actually transfer files to the server, this might be a case of ascii/binary file format transfer, but most FTP clients these days handle that correct automatically. Sounds as if this could be related to file and/or directory permissions.

Can't really comment on the PHP version issue, that's a topic for Garvin or the other “real” coders here.

YL