Sagittarius-A and Serendipity 1.6.2

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
schriftsteller
Regular

Sagittarius-A and Serendipity 1.6.2

Post by schriftsteller »

Sagittarius-A is not my favourite template, but I used it in on an experimental website. After Updating to 1.6.2, the sub-themes did not work anymore. I do not need help at this time. because Sagittarius-A is not really good-looking. But will it be possible to biuld up better newspaper-like applications with Serendipity in future? And will they work with 1.6.2?

Best wishes from Thuringia

Gebhard
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Sagittarius-A and Serendipity 1.6.2

Post by Don Chambers »

Try Mimbo, which is a port by Yellowled. You could also check out my Kinetic template, link to which is in my signature below.
=Don=
schriftsteller
Regular

Post by schriftsteller »

Dear Don,

Thanks very much. I use mimbo already on another webiste, but I have not updated serendipity so far. If I got it right, you have no problems wit mimbo and Serendipity 1.6.2?

Best wishes

Gebhard
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I have not tried Mimbo with s9y 1.6.2.
=Don=
schriftsteller
Regular

Post by schriftsteller »

Don,

thanks again - but what about Kinetic and 1.6.2 - does it work? If it does, would like to try it.

By the way: Is anyone using Sagittarius? When I read the source code, I foudnd some useles code form the mimbo template. H

Best wishes

Gebhard
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

schriftsteller wrote:thanks again - but what about Kinetic and 1.6.2 - does it work? If it does, would like to try it.
There is no harm in trying out templates with a specific version of s9y. You can always switch back to another template. Testing a template shouldn't “destroy” anything.

YL
schriftsteller
Regular

Post by schriftsteller »

Hi Yellow,

form a progammers point of view, you may be right. But from a publshers point of view, things are different. As for Newspaper applications, Serndipity offers only two valid styles so far. If both don't work, you're lost.

Best wishes

Gebhard
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

schriftsteller wrote:Don,
thanks again - but what about Kinetic and 1.6.2 - does it work? If it does, would like to try it.
The Kinetic demo site has been upgraded to s9y 1.6.2. Works great.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

schriftsteller wrote:As for Newspaper applications, Serndipity offers only two valid styles so far.
That's not what I meant. You can safely “try” any s9y template with any s9y version to check if it works. It won't break anything, you can always safely switch back to a working template.

YL
schriftsteller
Regular

Post by schriftsteller »

Yellow, please:

It is quite clear that you can. But we are doing serious work, arent't we? So we can't switich forth and back and make a game out of it. And it was really not my question. So far, nobody could tell me why mimbo doesn't work with 1.6.2 and as far as I know, nobody even tried do so. What a publihser needs to know is: If an application like Mimbo exsists, weill it be supported by all future releases of Serndipity or will it not? That's the only important point.

Best wishes

Gebhard
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

schriftsteller wrote:It is quite clear that you can.
If you don't want any advice other than what you explicitly asked for, you should say so. I was merely stating that you could very well simply try yourself if Mimbo works with 1.6.2 or not without doing any harm to your current installation. If you knew that already, great – but how am I supposed to know that?
schriftsteller wrote:But we are doing serious work, arent't we?
I can only speak for myself. I'm spending my free time giving free advice and trying to help users. It's not exactly what I'd call “serious work”.
schriftsteller wrote:So far, nobody could tell me why mimbo doesn't work with 1.6.2 and as far as I know, nobody even tried do so.
So far (haven't read the German thread yet), you didn't even state what exactly is supposed to be wrong with Mimbo in 1.6.2. You do not seriously expect me to test any (free, by the way) template I ever made in any s9y version, including all possible settings users might use or not – do you?
schriftsteller wrote:What a publihser needs to know is: If an application like Mimbo exsists, weill it be supported by all future releases of Serndipity or will it not? That's the only important point.
“all future releases of Serendipity”? Who should be able to guarantee that? What do I know now what we might have to change in upcoming version or if it will break backwards compatibility?

Of course it is one of our goals to make Serendipity as backwards compatible as possible, but there have to be reasonable limits to that, otherwise we wouldn't be able to develop it any further.

YL
schriftsteller
Regular

Post by schriftsteller »

Y,

please stop this kind of discussion. It makes no sense. You waste your time and you waste mine. And by the way: I know that it's for free, and that many people do voluntary work.

Best wishes

Gebhard