Difficulties in posting

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
LazyBadger
Regular

Difficulties in posting

Post by LazyBadger »

Use case

I have two local workstations (WS1 and WS2 hereinafter) and two locations of s9y blogs - on WS1 and on remote server (remotes are two different, but it haven't any meaning in my specific case- see below) - WS1Blog and RemoteBlog. WS2 also have a set of different browsers

Trouble

For some unknown reasons I faced with a strange phenomenon

* From WS2, with any browser, I can't post any topic to RemoteBlog (but can "save as draft")
* From WS2, with any browser, I can post to WS1Blog
* From WS1 I can post to WS1Blog and RemoteBlog (ie. it is not ISP-issue)
* On unsuccessful post-attempt I didn't get any records in Apache-error log, from user's side it seems as never-ending-story "Serendipity storing your post now"

Yes, I have firewalls (different versions, sadly) on WS1 and WS2 and WS1Blog is on "trusted host" from WS2 point of view, while RemoteBlog is not (and I don't want weaken the checks and increase the level of confidence of RemoteBlog), but for all and any locatons I don't block referrers and cookies (and always believed that this is enough)

What can I do in my situation, what to debug and where to see?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Difficulties in posting

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Let's try to investigate these issues one by one:
* From WS2, with any browser, I can't post any topic to RemoteBlog (but can "save as draft")
* From WS1 I can post to WS1Blog and RemoteBlog (ie. it is not ISP-issue)
Does this mean, from WS1 you can post to RemoteBlog properly, right? WS1 and WS2 are on the same network? If it works on one machine but not the other, and you are sure that you are using absolutely the same login, we must be able to spot a difference in their configuration.

Cookies and HTTP-Header mangling come to my idea, you might want to use Firefox+Firebug on both WS1 and WS2, and check how the sent and received HTTP headers differ on the two workstations.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/