Being spammed?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
locojoe
Regular

Being spammed?

Post by locojoe »

st received this e-mail form my host. Can someone tell me what might be going on and how to stop it? Is it a plug in? Thanks!

"I have found that the database "ourblog" is affecting our MySQL server performance. The table "serendipity_visitors" contains the maximum number of rows which looks like spamming. Please make sure to clear off the junk contents from the database which are not the contents of the website to avoid suspension of the website."
locojoe
Regular

Re: Being spammed?

Post by locojoe »

I'm running v 1.5. Just noticed I need to upgrade. Thanks
locojoe
Regular

Post by locojoe »

Ok I've upgraded to 1.6. I also went into the database and emptied/truncated the serendipity_visitors table.
Should this table prune itself occasionally?
Sorry for my ignorance.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I got this e-mail from my host indicating the same thing is happening on 2 instances of Serendipity that I'm running.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

No, since the visitors are statistics, s9y does not want to decide on how long you want the statistics to be available. There is a maintainance plugin someone provided here on the forum, but I don't know its name exactly, maybe you can search for it with keywords like maintenance, visitors, etc.?

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
locojoe
Regular

Post by locojoe »

It's funny I received this message for 2 of the blogs I run on the same day.
Something fishy going on I guess. Were my blogs were being attacked in some way?
In my hosts e-mail they say that table "serendipity_visitors" contains the maximum number of rows. What decides the maximum number of rows MYsql?

I guess I probably need to start paying more attention to my stats/logs whatever.

I sure hope that emptying this table solves the problem and I'm not suspended.

As always Gavin thanks for a great product and your help.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

There is a maintainance plugin someone provided here on the forum, but I don't know its name exactly
serendipity_event_dbclean
locojoe
Regular

Post by locojoe »

I just got a final warning my host is going to shut me down. I don't even know where to begin to solve this problem. I know my blogs aren't that busy. Can someone point me where to even begin? Thanks.

"Your account is still consuming excessive
resources on our database servers. To maintain your PowWeb
account, we will need you to reduce the amount of databases
queries on your website immediately"
locojoe
Regular

Post by locojoe »

I just chat with my hosts tech support. They brought up the "serendipity_visitors" table again. I deleted this table and the "serendipity_visitors"_counter" table and disabled the Statistics plug in. I hope I'm on the right track.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

You probably are. Install the dbclean-plugin, it can help you delete statistic-tables. But as deleting rows in tables wont reduce the amount of queries, deleting the plugin was a good idea.
locojoe
Regular

Post by locojoe »

onli wrote:You probably are. Install the dbclean-plugin, it can help you delete statistic-tables. But as deleting rows in tables wont reduce the amount of queries, deleting the plugin was a good idea.
Thanks. I just went and installed and ran the dbclean-plugin. So I just need to manually run this plugin periodically?
abdussamad
Regular

Post by abdussamad »

Another thing you can do is go to your admin area > comments > configure anti-spam methods and then scroll down to the bottom on the next page and make sure "no logging" in selected in the "Choose logging" method option. If it's set to database logging and you get a lot of spam comments it can generate a lot of needless database activity.

I wold also take a backup of the site right now using cpanel. If your host is feeling particularly nasty they might suspend your account at any time. If they do that I suggest getting a VPS instead from another hosting provider. A VPS comes with more guaranteed resources so you have more room to grow your site.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

locojoe wrote:
onli wrote:You probably are. Install the dbclean-plugin, it can help you delete statistic-tables. But as deleting rows in tables wont reduce the amount of queries, deleting the plugin was a good idea.
So I just need to manually run this plugin periodically?
Yes. Though that will only reduce database-load, not the amount of queries.
abdussamad wrote:If it's set to database logging and you get a lot of spam comments it can generate a lot of needless database activity.
Very good idea.