State of the Art in Update Postings

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
danst0
Regular

State of the Art in Update Postings

Post by danst0 »

Hi,

I am curious: How do you post articles which you might have to update several times (like a list of upcoming conferences)?
Do you change the publishing date then?
How do you manage your RSS feed in this case?
And how can I use s9y for that?

Daniel
yellowled
Regular

Re: State of the Art in Update Postings

Post by yellowled »

danst0 wrote:How do you post articles which you might have to update several times (like a list of upcoming conferences)?
One possibility is to not use an article at all but a static page (needs the static pages plugin if you're not using it already). A list of upcoming events can also be maintained using the sidebar plugins "My Calendar" or [drumroll] "Upcoming events" :)

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

RobA wrote:I asked once before about rss updating when a post is updated and was told that is not considered appropriate by those who know about rss.

i.e. it should only show up in the rss feed when it is first posted, and not, "bumped" every time it is edited. That is s9y's behaviour.

-Rob A>
Serendipity has a configuration setting for this. Administration -> Configuration -> Appearance and Options -> Activate strict RFC2616 RSS-Feed compliance, so you can choose whether or not the RSS feed is updated when an entry is modified.
=Don=
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

There are different behaviours depending on your used browser with its rss-feed-function or rss-feeds reader.
What kind of rss-feed reader do you use, RobA?

I often update my postings and already experienced what you describe.

Opera do not produces every time copies of those articles. (It even do not shows me an update of special article immedately because I choosed in the rss-administration of Opera "update" weekly)
But Mozilla Seymonkey does. It don't realizes, that the article was already downloaded and appears several times, always with the date when I posted it first.

I am not sure if a further copy will be produced only when I have made a change in an entry or already then, when I only click "save entry" in backend without any change or what else let serendipity send a copy in my mozilla suite rss basket.

I have issued 130 postings in my blog, but Seamonkey rss-feed of my blog has 2781 items. I cannot delete all the copies all the time, but do not know, what to do, to fix that problem. - But I see now: the administration of rss-feed shows: fetch new rss every 100 minutes. I will change this now to: 1.140 minutes (1x per day).

In my administration in the configuration unter Appearance and Options strict RFC2616 RSS-Feed compliance is deactivated.

Garvin describes in the handbook, that activating of the strict RFC2615 RSS-Feed compliance has some disadvantages (page 87 f.).

Maybe you try out another rss-feedreader for yourself if the hint from Don not yet satisfy you. I guess it is impossable to serve all needs of the users with their different software and behaviour. You could give your readers some hints, how after your experience the rss-feeds function well.