Serendipity vs Wordpress?

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
newlifebernville

Serendipity vs Wordpress?

Post by newlifebernville »

I was recently forced to find a new provider as my old provider lost 4 years of weekly podcasts. We were using Wordpress and my new host offers Serendipity as an option. I've never used Serendipity and will be teaching a not-so-computer savvy person to post the podcasts. Is Serendipity more user-friendly and can I set it up to feed to iTunes? Are themes customizable? I'd like to match the look of the podcast to the website for continuity.
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Serendipity vs Wordpress?

Post by Don Chambers »

I have never used Wordpress, so I cannot really compare the two. Serendipity can import your Wordpress data if you have a backup.

Is Serendipity user friendly? Yes. Themes are customizable, and you do not need to fumble with php as our themes are smarty templates, which are primarily html with a some smarty code mixed in.

Can it feed to iTunes? What does iTunes need? How did you do it with wp?
=Don=
newlifebernville

Post by newlifebernville »

Wordpress has 2 versions. A basic for blogging and a more "complex" version that will set up an automatic RSS feed. When you post a new entry, it automatically sent it out to the services you specify, such as iTunes, and other subscriber-based podcasting sites. We only used iTunes because that seemed to be the preference of our congregation. Unfortunately, our old host lost over 200 podcasts with no backup on their end. If Wordpress backs up files somewhere, I'm not aware of it. We still have all the mP3's, but the posts are lost so we'd have to listen to them all over again to rewrite the descriptions/intros. so we're starting from ground zero. That's why I thought I'd look into Serendipity as an option. Wordpress can be a little tricky to set up and link to your site. One extra space somewhere and you lose the whole thing.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I'm still not clear on what exactly Wordpress is doing. Do you know of another site with this functionality so I could see it in action?
=Don=
BytesLand

Post by BytesLand »

It looks like I will be sticking with Serendipity even though it has a smaller range of plugins available than WP or MT at this stage but it plain just works. No fuss, no hacking of code etc. It works! So in terms of peace of mind, Serendipity wins hands down. I would rather spend my time blogging rather than getting my blog to work.
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

BytesLand wrote:It looks like I will be sticking with Serendipity even though it has a smaller range of plugins available than WP or MT at this stage but it plain just works. No fuss, no hacking of code etc. It works! So in terms of peace of mind, Serendipity wins hands down. I would rather spend my time blogging rather than getting my blog to work.
Good point!

The philosophy behind the plugins is to have one per task to be accomplished. If you need something new in a plugin, the plugin will be updated with the new options. There will not be two plugins doing the same task.

Podcasting: I am running a podcast with Serendipity and with the old "easy podcasting plugin" a lot of manual work was necessary. The new plugin, that you install with SPARTACUS, will produce iTunes-feeds. But there is an open issue with empty articles, which will be solved by upgrading to Serendipity 1.6, which currently is in alpha state and will be released in the next weeks.

Cheers

Dirk
torontolast

Post by torontolast »

Yes, I think Serendipity is compatible with wordpress. like migration from Serendipity to wordpress.
Thanks in advanced
Toronto L
Motorola SB6121
tyler92

Post by tyler92 »

Actually, I have same issue in wordpress and asked the admin if serendipity plugin is compatible. Unfortunately, no. So I am thinking to migrate in serendipity.