Serendipity for "standard" website

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
WoodLark

Serendipity for "standard" website

Post by WoodLark »

I have used serendipity for a blog website and like it very much. I have now been given the opportunity to maintain a club website which is mostly static pages and is in bad need of some updating and TLC.

I am thinking of using Serendipity with mostly static pages (including the front page) and using categories to access those portions of the site that lend themselves to the "blog" type of presentation (meeting minutes, activity reports, etc.).

Does this sound practical to you or should I be looking at some other web authoring tool than Serendipity?

I am planning to use the "Brown Paper" template. Is there anything special I need to know about this template?
yellowled
Regular

Re: Serendipity for "standard" website

Post by yellowled »

WoodLark wrote:Does this sound practical to you or should I be looking at some other web authoring tool than Serendipity?
You'll probably find tons of opinions on that :)

My personal bottom line on this: It depends. (Who would've thought, right?) s9y is not a true CMS, although it can be used as a CMS with a lot of manual tweaking and compromises.

From my personal project experience, the crucial factor is the number of static pages involved and how much nesting they need. For me, maintaining a high number of static pages (personal opinion: 10-15 and higher) is not exactly comfortable, especially not if they're nested in 3 or more levels. This is especially a problem if you want to put that number of nested static pages into a sensible navigation, even more if this navigation is to be computed by the system instead of creating it manually. This part might also need a highly customized template.

But the bottom line also is: It depends on what you want to or can do, so you should give it a try, maybe in a local testing environment.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Your description sounds appropriate to me. Some pages will be static content, other pages lend themselves well to a "diary" format (ie, dated entries in sequence).

Your biggest advantage is that you already know how to use serendipity. Give it a shot. If it does not work, you can always try something different. :wink:

I have never used the Brown Paper template, so I cannot comment on that.
=Don=
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

WoodLark wrote:Does this sound practical to you or should I be looking at some other web authoring tool than Serendipity?
I can say: it is possible.

have a look at http://www.sankt-joseph-siemensstadt.de/
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... sstadt.de/
Ciao, Stephan
WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

Thanks for the replies. I decided that while it was certainly possible, it would be much more efficient to use a CMS that was designed to do what I was trying to accomplish. For now, it looks like I'll be going with LightNEasy.