Newbie Help

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Dr-Moreau

Newbie Help

Post by Dr-Moreau »

I have recently installed serendipity for a blog that is use, http://www.dr-moreau.com. The blog is for an online game I play (Star Wars Galaxies). I play on 2 different servers and wanted to have a Main area that displays when someone visits the site then the user has the ability to select either Starsider or Bria.

I have installed the catagory plugin and made 3 catagories: Main, Starsider and Bria.

My question is: How do I set it so that the visitor is taken to the Main catagory when the visit the site and can read what is there and then can select the other, either Starsider or Bria from the list to view those entries? Right now when a visitor comes it displays all posts and then have to go to each catagory to read theh individual posts.

Thanks
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Newbie Help

Post by Don Chambers »

Are you asking if you can show only entries from the category "Main" on the frontpage? If so, check out the event plugin "Start Page Category" (serendipity_event_startcat).

Also note that individual entries can also be hidden from the front page by using the extended properties for entries plugin.
=Don=
Dr-Moreau

Post by Dr-Moreau »

Yeah that is what I am trying to do, Thanks for the help I will give it a try.
Dr-Moreau

Post by Dr-Moreau »

Sweet! That was it. I was looking in the wrong place for the plugin, was only looking in the sidebar plugins.

Thanks again. :D
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

You are welcome. Hope it works out well for you.
=Don=
thatsme
Regular

Newbie Help - one more time :)

Post by thatsme »

Hello there
Since I'm same newbie as topicstarter, and my questions are also on the same topic, so I dare to post them right over here :)
So.. I'm trying to organize a discussion on some book (whatever it is). And I posted a chapter per page. Is it possible to view pages backwardly (within one category), like oldest page cames first? Because its kinda weird to read the book (a small one :) starting from the last chapter, you know..
Another question I have - is it possible to view different categories with different number of posts in them? Like if messages are short ones, it might be a category with 10 of them per page, but if it's gonna be large pieces of text, then maybe it reasonable to have a seporate category with only one or two entities per page.
And here the last question comes - is it possible to jump to a specific page instead of clicking "previous-next#? It would be very handy for my project..
And the very last thing I want to say.
I like s9y! it so handy, so simple and logicaly made, so I just like it more and more :) Thank you folks, you've done a wonderful job!
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Hi
I haven't tested it, but the plugin serendipity_event_categorytemplates seems to be what you are looking for, regarding the categories and their configuration.

For the configuration, what you want sounds like pagination, habve a look at http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?p=75399.
sincerely
thatsme
Regular

Post by thatsme »

Yep! it DOES work the way I'd like to see :D
Thank you much, bro! Appreciate your help!