Suggest an Entry - Plugin Question

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
cmscritic
Regular

Suggest an Entry - Plugin Question

Post by cmscritic »

I'd like to offer my readers a chance to suggest an entry but am concerned that the form may be abused without some form or protection. Has anyone had experience applying some kind of captcha or is that overkill?
Mike Johnston
Senior Editor and Founder
CMS Critic
Linux Critic
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Suggest an Entry - Plugin Question

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Actually, the suggest entry form does support captchas, when the antispam plugin is installed.

HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Yeah, I was thinking that it supported captchas too... I do recall trying it once, and will probably get back to it one of these days.

Mike - I doubt spammers will like it much. I believe they have to confirm the submission via email... in other words, they submit the entry, then they get a link back to the email address they provided... if that confirmation link is not used, nothing really happens with the entry (well, it sits in the table, but goes no further)... once they confirm the submission, it becomes an entry with "draft" status.

I do seem to recall some stuff in there that needs to be changed to language constants that was hard coded in German... unless someone already got around to changing that....
=Don=
cmscritic
Regular

Post by cmscritic »

You are referring to the Spam Protector plugin correct? I have it installed and currently no captchas show up when I log out and look at either my contact form or my suggest entry forms. Is there a trick I need to apply?

**Update: I moved the spam protector to the top of my plugins as it wasn't working and this kicked it into effect **
Mike Johnston
Senior Editor and Founder
CMS Critic
Linux Critic