S9Y and Google Wave

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
kaktux
Regular

S9Y and Google Wave

Post by kaktux »

i just wanted to start a discussion about google wave.

A few links about Google Wave (some more in the next post as only 4 links are allowed):
A guide
A video of the presentation (shortcut 10min)
Google Wave Page - includes full video of presentation (80min)
Developers Blog

Anyone heard about it?? Sounds quite promising - also because of the fact, that it will be opensource and must not be hosted by google.
Of course a thought behind this posting is the question: Waves can be included into a blog and blog articles into wave. So if i understand right there is the possibility to integrate any blog software.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: S9Y and Google Wave

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yeah, I'm excited too, also what possibilities it might offer to include Serendipity into its workflow at some point, if there are touching points, API exchange methods or any other benefits both for Google Wavers and Serendipity-Bloggers.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
kaktux
Regular

Post by kaktux »

just in case you don't know - developers can ask for a sandbox account if they want to create a api (or how it is called) to integrate google wave into their software:
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/wavesignupfordev/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

It'd be damn nice to have wave-support (whatever that means) as soon as it gets released. But the API isn't even stably yet (as far as I know), so it could be a lot of work, especially because no one exactly knows how wave will look like at the end.
dakira
Regular

Post by dakira »

Hi,

let me bump this topic up again since Wave is now available. Wordpress already has support for Wave, so it'd be great to get Support for s9y, too.

I don't have any invites to give out, yet, but invites aren't that hard to come by, these days. If any dev reads this and would be willing to write a plugin, I'd stretch my feelers out for an invite.

Here are some details on how interoperability between Wave and s9y could be realized:
Wave has two kinds of extensions. Robots and gadgets. Gadgets are something you put inside a wave (like maps), bots are something that automatically does tasks (like translation, automatically cleaning stuff up, connecting all participants in a voice chat). In my opinion we should use a bot that automatically updates an s9y blogpost with the content of a wave. A good idea might be, to do this only if there are changes and only like every five minutes or so.

We could also look at doing this on s9y side. Maybe a plugin that allows you to manually connect a post to a certain wave (specified by wave-id).

Any more ideas, any volunteers?
doneysr

Post by doneysr »

kaktux wrote:i just wanted to start a discussion about google wave.

A few links about Google Wave (some more in the next post as only 4 links are allowed):
A video of the presentation (shortcut10min)
Google Wave Page - includes full video of presentation(80min)

Anyone heard about it?? Sounds quite promising - also because of the fact, that it will be opensource and must not be hosted by google.
Of course a thought behind this posting is the question: Waves can be included into a blog and blog articles into wave. So if i understand right there is the possibility to integrate any blog software.
Google Wave is already ridiculously complex and ambitious, which is something people who are not software developers may not be able to appreciate. To try and weave too many extra features like accessibility into all of this, at such an early stage, could have significantly affected the delivery time of the project or even made it fail. Although less time may be spent on a feature if you plan for it from the start, if you try to mix in too many features right off the bat, you may never actually end up completing anything.
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

dakira wrote:Hi,

let me bump this topic up again since Wave is now available. Wordpress already has support for Wave, so it'd be great to get Support for s9y, too.
In the moment the only thing I know about google waves is that it exists and has the name Waves. :oops:

So, what is the wordpress-support good for? What exactly is the impact of this support for a blogger?

(this is no troll post, I realy do not understand wave in the moment)
Ciao, Stephan
johncanary
Regular

Post by johncanary »

Google Wave is in Beta Preview, a lot of essential features are not up and running yet, e.g.: ACL (access control); Draft mode; Email gateway robots; ... and the Blog publishing robot introdiced in the video "Bloggy" doesn't run yet. Mainly because Waves cannot be accessed without a Wave account at Google at all at the moment.

I have embedded a Wave on my S9Y, but you only can see its content when you are logged into your Wave account.

I'm in correspondence with developers, marketers, ... many have usenet/newsgroup experience ... that seems to be the crowd which is most productive on Wave right now.

Some of my friends and myself already produced conversation that produced results which would have been much more difficult to achieve any other way (skype, chat, email, google docs, basecamp, ...)

I am sold on Wave.

Two of my blog posts about it:

http://blog.fcon21.biz/categories/17-google-wave
The first post—at the bottom—has the embedded wave.

Have fun.

P.S.: At this point I don't know why I would need a plugin to deal with wave. I'm used to add <embed code> to my posts, Wave is not different then including a video.
Yours John
: John's Google+ Profile
: John's E-Biz Booster Blog powered by Serendipity 1.7/PHP 5.3.14