Password Problem

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Xessex
Regular

Password Problem

Post by Xessex »

Hey guys,

I've done something stupid. With a python programm i wanted to create a cronjob. In the python programm i needed to fill in a few things, like my database name, host and also my password. I wasn't to sure what password it should be so i created one for my database with mysql.

Adfter i have done all that i wanted to have a look at my weblog and it gives an error message

"serendipity error: unable to connect to database - exiting."

I realized later that in the administration software i never used a password to enter my database. That line was blank, so serendipity is not able to acces the database anymore. At least i think thats the problem.

So how can i still login to the administration software and change that? Or is there another way i can make it undone? It's not possible to completely remove the password with mysql for my database, because when i want to change i still need to use a few characters. I cant leave it blank.

I could always ask my host to restore a backup, but if it can be done differently and easir i'd love to know

Many thanks....

BTW Serendipity Rocks! Lately i have been on wordpress because they use it at my journalism studies and i just doesnt work as easy. So you guys have done a terrific job.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Password Problem

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

You can correct the right password to use by editing the file serendipity_config_local.inc.php - if you don'T have write permissions, check the FAQ on www.s9y.org and look for "fixperm".
BTW Serendipity Rocks! Lately i have been on wordpress because they use it at my journalism studies and i just doesnt work as easy. So you guys have done a terrific job.
That's very nice to hear, I really appreciate this :-)

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Xessex
Regular

Re: Password Problem

Post by Xessex »

Never knew it should be tjis easy. Simple solution which has learned me alot for the future.

What i said about Serendipity is something i srongly support. I dont even know how come i started using it about 2/3 years ago but it works perfectly for me. Its so easy to add widgets and people can post really easy with it. So it works for me as webmaster and for the other users, from which some are nonos, too.