The Future of Serendipity

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
gimmel
Regular

Post by gimmel »

judebert wrote:If we hook the RSS visit as well as the web visit, we might actually be able to create a semi-reliable cron.
What is the english word for „Pfusch“…? ;-)
johncanary
Regular

Post by johncanary »

judebert wrote:Hmmm. Doesn't FeedBurner (or some other RSS
service) visit the blog on a regular basis?...
Absolutely, yes.
Google's feedfetcher is the most persistent one I have ever seen.
All you need to do is to subscribe to the Blog in Google Reader, and then it
comes, and it comes, and it comes,...

I have deleted an older SY9 testblog 2 month ago. It was not even public,
there were no external links to it. bot access was declined via robots.txt ,
but I subscribed in Google reader.

Still after 2 month google's feedbot tries to fetch the index.rss every 2 hours,
Mon-Sun, even though I am sending a HTTP 410 Gone Status back. Maybe
someone else is still subscribed to that feed (it's not me anymore)

That's reliable enough for me.

Yours
John
Yours John
: John's Google+ Profile
: John's E-Biz Booster Blog powered by Serendipity 1.7/PHP 5.3.14
sonichouse
Regular

CSSTidy support

Post by sonichouse »

I was looking at CleanCSS to compress stylesheets, and was getting 10-30% compression on the standard styles.

It could be an option to integrate csstidy in the backend to reduce the size of the style sheet sent, or we could could just apply the compression (with sensible defaults) to the stock styles ?

Just my random thoughts for today....
Steve is occasionally blogging here
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

gimmel wrote:
judebert wrote:If we hook the RSS visit as well as the web visit, we might actually be able to create a semi-reliable cron.
What is the english word for „Pfusch“…? ;-)
From German-English Freedict dictionary [fd-deu-eng]:

Pfusch [pfuʃ] (n) , s.(m )
bad job; botch-up
Happy to help :)

YL
Mangek
Regular

Post by Mangek »

This may not be a biggie, but I'd like it if the media-window from add/edit entry wouldn't close when I add the image, but rather go back to the first page listing all your images. It's a little annoying having to reopen it if I'm adding more than one image. Closing the window with the X is just fine imo. :)

Unless there's a reason for this?

I'd also like to (once again) take the opportunity to thank you Gavin (and all other contributors) for this software. I love it. :)
robi-bobi
Regular

Post by robi-bobi »

others have already mentioned what i wanted to write:

better multilingual support (compatible with pretty URLs)
CMS-like behavior (static pages etc)
( when i mentioned static pages - easy way to have default homepage changed to static page AND have nice URL for posts page )
better default WYSIWYG - yahoo one looks promising

just an idea: would it be possible to make plugins dependable on other plugins
another spartacus thing: plugins should have some routine to check themself so after installation spartacus could check the status and disable them if something went wrong

more info is always welcomed - for plugins and themes lists
and documentation on s9y.org might need work, too

theme designers: add img{max-width abc;} to your styles

it looks like s9y users are of two types: bloggers which want things done and some web masters
maybe admin setting of user experience could be usefull.
if user just wants to "write & forget", admin UI can be much simplified

also, since garvin wants to preserve light core ( and I totally agree with that) - maybe someone could provide bundle of core with most used plugins ready for download and install ?

I also wrote PM recently about some suggestions I had ;)

and yes, great software, thanks to garvin and all contributors
konus
Regular

better Documentation of plugins

Post by konus »

TKS wrote:Hey Garvin,
This aside, one thing I think could benefit s9y greatly is to have more details on plugins so people know what they are installing. Perhaps have a small synopsis in the plugin box and a larger hover text or expansion of the box when hovering. I find that I don't know what a plugin is for when I am browsing spartacus and have overlooked some good plugins because of it.
I would like to second that. Sometimes it ist really hard to unterstand what a plugin is all about and what not. How about adding a link to a description and maybe some samples in the forum or the wiki? This could also be a good place to ask question about it.
johncanary wrote:Hi Garvin, Gimmel!
I appreciate you're getting back to me. Shame on me
that I didn't check the current list of available
plugins first.
No it is not your fault, thats a generally problem for beginners of s9y: The current list of available plugins is not easy to understand, because if you are ssearching for a solution of a problem, you have to know the name of the plugin witch could help. The explaination is way to short and discussion about it is scattered all over the forum. We need a thead for each plugin with description, samples, faq, discussion....
konus
Regular

better image links

Post by konus »

On my board, I use images very frequently, that's why I would like to draw attention on my feature request on sourceforge about better image insertion. See also discussions here or here (german).
robi-bobi
Regular

Post by robi-bobi »

ah, and yes: please if it is easy make possible to choose one language for admin, and another for frontend

if this is not possible, then consider showing both custom and english language plugin names
randulo
Regular

Post by randulo »

abdussamad wrote: Now I understand that this editor is a 3rd party product that is no longer in development. So maybe its time to switch to some other editor as the s9y default wysiwyg?
Garvin, I add my sincere thanks to your active support and the original work, it's great! I have donated more than once (Amazon wish list IIRC) and I encourage others to do so, too.

However...

I totally agree with the above quote. I find myself moving customer blogs and CMS from s9y elsewhere when they can't get the editor to work right. The editor is the weakest part of the project and it really needs to be replaced. Isn't there a way to have a medium-complexity editor that allows the most used stuff? Image insertion is something average users need and it's not easy to make it work in the WYSIWYG editor. SOMEONE needs to find a solution to this, it's the weakest part of all CMS, not just s9y. The whole workflow of image management needs to be re-examined.

There must be a bunch of editors out there by now, heck even a Flash module would be worth considering!
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

randulo:Have you tried the fckeditor or tinymce plugins? Those should work fine as well, I believe some of them should even have the s9y media integration.

robi-bobi: You can set your own language in "Personal Preferences", and the blog's frontend language in "Global Configuration", so this is already possible.

HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
robi-bobi
Regular

Post by robi-bobi »

I agree, just that that way you are not going to see what other visitors see on frontend (actually, this is something I can live with :) -just logout)
ggreenwi

Select All

Post by ggreenwi »

Simple request for a "Select All" option on comments. Helps when comments are moderated. Thanks
-G
sonichouse
Regular

Re: Select All

Post by sonichouse »

ggreenwi wrote:Simple request for a "Select All" option on comments. Helps when comments are moderated. Thanks
-G
The "Invert Selections" at the bottom of the comments screen will select all for you.
Steve is occasionally blogging here
gimmel
Regular

Another wish (admin interface)

Post by gimmel »

I have another wish for Serendipity 2.0:
When I tried to make a complete XHTML error free redesign of the admin interface a few days ago, I noticed that there is only one template to design the main interface frame. But there is no way to change the plugin/comments/styles view completely (only with CSS).

I tried to change the side menu to definition lists, like

Code: Select all

<dl>
  <dt>Appearance</dt> //title
   <dd>Manage Styles</dd> //item
   <dd>Configure Plugins</dd> //item
</dl>
but that didn't work, because other plugins (eg. static pages) which generate their own menu entries are doing standard lists (<li>Static Pages</li>). Wouldn't it be better to have the menu entries and every plugin output as an array to insert them by template? To divide content from template and design? So some really cool stuff would be possible.

The way it is now, I had to change a whole lot of the serendipity core to make my own admin interface.

By the way: I'd love to use MooTools to manage the whole interface a lot more cool and easy.