s9y-users.com - Needs a new owner!

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
carl_galloway
Regular

s9y-users.com - Needs a new owner!

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi everyone,

The Serendipity Users directory needs a new owner who is willing to take control of it and make it something for the community to be be proud of. I don't have the time to manage it anymore, even approving site listings is too much work due to the amount of spam.

The site has a page rank 5 and over 300 listings of Serendipity user sites. My option is to close the site and give the domain name to Garvin or whoever he thinks should keep it, or let someone else manage the directory, or even completely rebuild the site for something completely new that would benefit the community.

If anyone has any ideas on what to do with the site please post your comment here.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Does the site run on s9y? How much does the webhosting cost?
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I think Carl once told me that he was using php link directory to power that site. I simply have too many other irons in the fire right now to step up.
=Don=
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Don's got it right, it is a directory script, its called php link directory, and its the paid version. Problem is that the site rarely attracts actual s9y users to list their site, but gets bucket loads of spam. I think its been listed somewhere because the listings are free and don't require reciprocal.

I've had a PM from someone offering to take it over, but I'd prefer to get the opinion of the rest of the community before I make any decisions. I don't even know if its worth having to be honest since the only traffic seems to be the spammers and the occasional s9y user who's looking for templates. I'm being honest here, I think the domain is probably more useful to the community than the directory, even though its a PR5 this doesn't matter much if nobody benefits from it.

With that said, I can close down the site and push the domain to Garvin or one of the other senior community members, or I can give it away to anyone who has a plan for actually doing something with it, or ...