phpBB 3.0

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Don Chambers
Regular

phpBB 3.0

Post by Don Chambers »

I see that phpBB v3 was released a few weeks ago. Looks like there are a lot of improvements. Any thought to upgrading this site to v3?
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: phpBB 3.0

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I think the template system got changed? Since phpbb here is running a customized template, migration might not be so easy?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I have never used phpBB, and would therefore not truly understand the changes.... Did they take 3.0 in such a different direction that a style/template for 2.x does not work with 3.x?
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

3.0 is a complete rewrite of PHPBB. I think virtually 100% of all code has changed from phpbb 2.x to 3.x

I know that the complete database structure has changed. I think there's a migration script, but I don't know how good it works. I also think that the URLs will change after migrating to a new version. That might not be good, because internally linked postings in this forum will then no longer work, if it's true.

Regards,
Garvin
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I did a quick search on their site looking for detailed documentation on upgrading from 2 -> 3. This is the sum total of their upgrade documentation!! :?
The upgrade process from 2.0.x to 3.0.x is a straight-forward, simplified process.

The process is in the form of a PHP file, similar to the update file found in phpBB 2.0.x. The file will take you through wizard-like screens until your phpBB is running 3.0.x.

Warning: Be sure to backup both the database and the files before attempting to upgrade.
When I compare permalinks from the phpbb community site to this forum site, the only difference seems to be the inclusion of a forum number in addition to a topic number. Again, not having used the software, I have no idea if this is a version difference, or configuration. If it is a version difference, I wonder if the absense of a forum number in older, internally linked posts, would make those posts inaccessible, or if just the topic number would be sufficient.

Anyway, it looks like a huge improvement, and just thought I would mention it. Perhaps it would be best to place this on a shelf that includes a complete overhaul of the blog template, wiki template, and forum template to give all of serendipity a fresh new look at some point in the future.
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Maybe someone could do some tests with a phpbb2 installation and a 3.x one and check

* if the templates can remain the same
* if the old URLs (without forum id?) still work

I haven't looked into phpbb3.0 yet, are there any specific updates you think that this forum would benefit from? At this point, IMHO the forums work pretty solid, so I'd really like some benefits from a new version first *g*

Regards,
Garvin
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Grischa has some posts on his blog about the new phpbb, but I cannot fully understand what he is saying as they are in German. :lol: Perhaps those entries will make more sense to you.

As far as changing? My understanding is that v2 is REALLY outdated, and I just like to stay current with most software, which is why I am running s9y v. 1.4!!! :lol: RELAX everyone!! As of right now, there is no s9y v1.4!!! :P

I guess you, as admin, would need to review the feature comparison to determine if it is worthwhile or not.
=Don=
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

yeah, i was thinking about upgrading to phpbb3 a while ago, but after seeing the feature comparison chart i did not even bother to think about the migration issues garvin mentioned anymore. there's still no native rss support - i mean c'mon!
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

The lack of native RSS shocked me as well Jannis! In fact, it was a feature I was specifically looking for. They use it on their own support forum - but it is accomplished via a module/plugin. Makes no sense to me. Reading various posts on their site, it looks like it is not always easy to get that RSS module fully operational either - lots of people have trouble getting it to work.

SMF does not have native rss either FWIW. Perhaps feeding a forum presents unique challenges we don't face in a blogging environment???
=Don=
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

There is only one bulletin board that i can recommend and it is called vBulletin. With all the new features in the upcoming 3.7 the users would love it ;)

If some users would spend some coins it would be possible to use it here.

I would love to help setting it up. It rocks.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

VB is fantastic Harald - the vast majority of forums I visit run vb. It is not, however, open source. While the money is not a big deal, I personally think it is cool for s9y - an open source project - to support an open source forum project like phpBB.
=Don=
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

Don Chambers wrote:VB is fantastic Harald - the vast majority of forums I visit run vb. It is not, however, open source. While the money is not a big deal, I personally think it is cool for s9y - an open source project - to support an open source forum project like phpBB.
yeah, well - if VB really is better (both for users and administrators) i wouldn't mind using it for the s9y boards. i plain hate phpb - has VB had as many vulnerabilities?

but if it's opensource or not - i really don't care. if VB the better tool for the job i'd use it. given somebody pays the $160, because i won't 8)
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Yes Jannis - Vb, from my limited understanding, is far better than phpBB... but isn't just a commercial branch of phpBB??

Regardless 1) I stand behind my original recommendation to support another great open source project, that being phpBB, and 2) you are in a better position to support a change financially than I. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
=Don=
blog.brockha.us
Regular

Post by blog.brockha.us »

I did upgrade my phpBB2 to phpBB3 recently. The upgrade itself was easy.

But forget your old templates, you have to rewrite them.
If the link structure is the same, I don't know, I think, we didn't use them in our forum. But when I compare the links in my forum and in this one, they are exactly the same.
- Grischa Brockhaus - http://blog.brockha.us
- Want to make me happy? http://wishes.brockha.us/
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

As far as i know VB is completely different from PHPBB (i only know v2 of it).

The coming version has a lot of improvements like open usergroups, social bookmarking services and so on. You also can install some useful add-ons with the plugin system. I only see advantages with VB (except the price).

If you are interested to switch, you can contact me. I run some boards and could help a lot. We also can discuss the costs for some goodies ;)

Harald