Working of 'hide content in RSS'

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Obviously there is not much chance I will run out of questions.

What is worrying me at the moment I have asked elsewhere, and it has to do with a plugin. Is it right that some of these things won't be in the book?

(This is how the Autosave function works. I don't understand why I get all these drafts that aren't overwritten when I post, and I suspect I'm using it wrong - but as I say, I asked that somewhere else).

Margaret
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Garvin, I turned that option to true, but is this correct:

'So if you set this option to "TRUE" you will comply with that RFC, but readers of your RSS feed might miss items in their holidays. So either way, either it *hearts* Aggregators like Planet, or it hurts actual readers of your blog. If you are facing complaints from either side, you can toggle this option. Reference: SourceForge'

Should it not read 'hurts' rather than 'hearts'?

Margaret
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Zirbelholz wrote:Should it not read 'hurts' rather than 'hearts'?

Margaret
Yes, that is a typo.
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

*g*. Yes. That's a typo. :-)

I cannot cover all plugins in the book. I'll try to cover those that I feel are most commonly used. The autosave plugin is covered, but I don't personally use it, so I'm not aware of any rough edges it might have.

Autosave plugin is meant to work with articles being published live. If you create drafts yourself, it might lead to duplicate posts. If you can describe how you write entries and what happens when, I can try to find a bug in the logic.

But the autosave plugin is quite complex, so it might be that I'm not able to help on that issue.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

The problem is that I lost some work once, and I gathered from the forum that it was due to a php timeout. I thought I had to use this autosave plugin.

Now I get headers starting with [AUTOSAVED] that I have to delete that word from (I don't see my entry exactly as others do, do I? so I thought the word was just internal, but it appears in my feed). I also have to remember to change the time of a draft to the time of publishing - I suppose this is unavoidable. When I publish, I sometimes get an identical draft saved and I delete it.

Recently I posted a photo of St. Martin's Day. Then I corrected something and reposted, and deleted the draft, and for some reason I found my second publication was completely empty. If I knew exactly what happened I would be more comfortable. At least I understand the RSS situation now.

This is all very confused. I have a feeling there is nothing to read about that plugin anywhere.

Margaret
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
Zirbelholz wrote:The problem is that I lost some work once, and I gathered from the forum that it was due to a php timeout. I thought I had to use this autosave plugin.
I personally never trust a browser with important work, I always use an editor with REAL autosave functionality, that does not depend on network functions.

For firefox, I believe there's an extension that does saving of any textarea to your local disk drive.

Often, it's enough to recover a "lost" entry by using the F5-refresh button of the browser. You can even log in parallely in a new tab to your s9y blog (if you lost your login) and then resubmit the first tab again.

Anyways, those are just the reasons I don't use the Autosave-Plugin.
Now I get headers starting with [AUTOSAVED] that I have to delete that word from (I don't see my entry exactly as others do, do I? so I thought the word was just internal, but it appears in my feed). I also have to remember to change the time of a draft to the time of publishing - I suppose this is unavoidable. When I publish, I sometimes get an identical draft saved and I delete it.
You should never edit entries with "AUTOSAVE" information in it! Always edit the original article that does not have autosave in its title.
Recently I posted a photo of St. Martin's Day. Then I corrected something and reposted, and deleted the draft, and for some reason I found my second publication was completely empty.
How did you delete your draft? Which second publication? I need more verbose details on your process.
This is all very confused. I have a feeling there is nothing to read about that plugin anywhere.
That might be, yes. It's JS/Ajax-Heavy, and I generally have little trust in JS/AJAX-Applications that hide many things from PHP scopes. And because the plugin was developed by someone not present here on the forums, there's little support of this particulkar plugin.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

Thanks yet again. I'll stop using it. I was thinking of using a word processor, but of course I should use an editor. I can always put the URLs in and do the blockquotes online when I finally post.

I will not go into details about the post I lost, because it's too vague. Fortunately it was very short and I reposted it.

I had assumed that the entries marked as autosave drafts were superfluous and the final entry was important, but I couldn't understand the messages that the plugin was sending me. I will remove it at once!

Margaret
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

I have removed the Autosave plugin and I have three autosaved drafts and three posted entries, all identical. I am going to remove the autosaved drafts. I can't see the point of keeping them.

Margaret
chickens
Regular

Post by chickens »

I used to use firefox for posting items to my site and I've finally switched over to a real word processor. I found myself losing posts all too often when trying to post something new.

Now I use Word 2007 on the Windows side and Pages on Mac. Both make life a ton easier. The spell check in firefox is great, but having a real editor beats it hands down.

I did have one problem with both applications and quotation marks for HTML. I found the solution and posted it to my site:
http://zacgarrett.com/2007/09/16/Pages. ... ion-marks/
http://zacgarrett.com/2007/09/17/Word-2 ... ion-Marks/

Other than that the defaults for the programs have been working great. I just copy and page the text from the editor into the browser to post. I do this so I can have more finite control over the post. I do everything in HTML, so I like to test it out with preview before posting.
Zirbelholz
Regular

Post by Zirbelholz »

I wonder if that would be the solution to another problem I have met: I was involved in a huge translation that appeared online, both in html and PDF, and in both cases the apostrophes were missing. It isn't over yet, and the solution has been to tell the institution that puts it online to be careful, but perhaps our apostrophes were typographical too.

Margaret