[2.0] Image editor

Mark threads with "[2.0]" for discussions about features in the longer-term future, "[1.6]" is for short-term. This is not the place for general discussions or plugin or template requests. Only features that are approved to happen by the core team should be listed here for better structuring.
yellowled
Regular

[2.0] Image editor

Post by yellowled »

So there's one thing in the 2.0 backend which I'd like to discuss: the backend includes a rather rudimentary image editor, basically for stuff which GDlib or imagemagick can do server-side. You know, cropping, resizing, rotating. Actually, resize and rotate are not part of the actual image editor but seperate actions in the media db.

I understand the actual image editor is kind of “proof of concept” and/or unfinished work. I'd vote to remove the image editor altogether, at least for the time being. That might, however, be influenced by the fact that I would never do that kind of stuff (especially rotate and crop) in the s9y backend. I would always use a proper image editor like GIMP or Photoshop for that.

My main concern here is that we would ship unfinished parts with 2.0 unless someone were to improve the image editor significantly which, as far as I can tell, would be quite an effort. I also think that it's “hidden well enough” (it's only available in the media properties page) to remove it (temporarily).

Agreed, opposed, comments?

YL
onli
Regular

Re: [2.0] Image editor

Post by onli »

Agreed. I didn't even know that thing exists till i stumbled upon it while coding.
bernd_d
Regular

Post by bernd_d »

Sometimes i use "Rotate" because of the reason, that the current library doesn't use the exif-orientation-tag. My locale image-viewer auto-rotate pictures for viewing and after uploading them, they are wrong/not rotated.

Cropping and other things could be removed.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Sometimes i use "Rotate" because of the reason, that the current library doesn't use the exif-orientation-tag
Should we patch this in 2.0?
bernd_d
Regular

Post by bernd_d »

Don't know. If so, it should be optional like a check-button for upload-manager. Manual rotating should still be implemented, but one single button for an image could be enough (for example "clockwize"), a true image-editor is not necessary.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I developed that a long time ago, I just wanted to put it somewhere. I have nothing attached to it. Feel free to remove it. I don't think it works anyways, and with the advent of jquery, the whole thing would be done differently.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/