ChangeLog and README for themes

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
Don Chambers
Regular

ChangeLog and README for themes

Post by Don Chambers »

When configuring plugins, there are links at the top of the page for "Version History" and "Local Documentation". These links lead to ChangeLog, and README text files, if they exist for that plugin.

How about something like that for themes?
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: ChangeLog and README for themes

Post by garvinhicking »

The problem is that for themes we have no proper "update" mechanism or a real version comparison, so we would need that fundament first to start with.

Then again, I'm not sure if it's really that much needed, when I look at past themes, they only get updated a few times after initial release, and then no more changes occur...
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I was really intending it as more of an opportunity for the theme author to provide info and/or instructions on using the theme. Not so much of an updating mechanism.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Side note: We have an open GitHub issue for this.

I kind of like the idea, although I agree with Garvin that most themes are not updated frequently enough to justify a ChangeLog. For a README (as long as it's not too long) there's always the possibility of a 'custom' type theme option (which can also be localized pretty easy).

Also, I think that if a theme needs more explanation than the author is willing to fit into a 'custom' type theme option, then maybe the theme should have a dedicated documentation web site anyway …

Kind of undecided on this.

YL