Announcing plugin updates in the forums

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
yellowled
Regular

Announcing plugin updates in the forums

Post by yellowled »

Some of us (most notably Ian) like to announce plugin updates in the forums. I think those announcements tend to get lost in long threads because they are usually mixed up with questions or discussions about said plugins.

Should people who want to do this (meaning Moderators) be able to post those updates to the “Announcements” subforum or should we even create a new subforum “Plugin Updates”? (I'm not really sure if that would be more clear for users, just a thought.)

YL
Lux
Regular

Re: Announcing plugin updates in the forums

Post by Lux »

yellowled wrote:Some of us (most notably Ian) like to announce plugin updates in the forums.
I like the idea!

The forums are not overcrowded ...

Cheers

Dirk
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Well, I did this, for sort of "major" changes and in the main thread only. Shall I move futures to Announcements? This would be new, since being primarily used for Serendipity releases or forum announcements. The better place used by Garvin, was the S9y blog itself for "main" plugin updates. Its not always that easy to decide what is main, urgent or major for the masses though.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Timbalu wrote:Shall I move futures to Announcements?
I'm not sure if Garvin wants to keep Announcements for release/forum announcements only. That's why I suggested a dedicated subforum.

Personally, I tend to not read them in the forums just like I tend to “blend out” any longer thread that I'm not heavily involved in. I assume a lot of people to that, which is why I assume that these announcements get lost.

YL
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Yes, but the primary focus for a Serendipity blog user is to check for spartacus updates frequently and read the changelogs. I know anything other gets lost for the masses. These "special" announcements I used to make, were mostly for the ones somehow currently involved...
Any other mass reaching announcement could only be some automated notifications in the backend (like I once did in Dashboard PoC for the s9y blog feed, or like the Piwik backend does, or something similar. We have this partially already as a FR issue to show update alert buttons only, if there is anything to update on Spartacus.)
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

Timbalu wrote:Yes, but the primary focus for a Serendipity blog user is to check for spartacus updates frequently and read the changelogs. I know anything other gets lost for the masses. These "special" announcements I used to make, were mostly for the ones somehow currently involved...
There is a second use case ...

I do not use Plugin X, because Feature Y is not (yet) implemented.

How do I get the information about new features in existing plugins?

Cheers

Dirk
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Lux wrote:I do not use Plugin X, because Feature Y is not (yet) implemented.

I would rule that out because you would not get that information for most plugins anyway because most plugins are not being documented in the forums anyway. Ian does that for CKE and the static pages dev version, but I'm sure he does not want to do that for any plugin.

Most plugins should have a ChangeLog, though.

YL
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Lux wrote:I do not use Plugin X, because Feature Y is not (yet) implemented.
Ask for it in the forum, or "assign youself to", or create a GIT FR issue and read if it gets developed or not... Imho the only way. How should we else know you are waiting for a specific feature and like to get informed? :)
Regards,
Ian

yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Timbalu wrote:How should we else know you are waiting for a specific feature and like to get informed? :)
I think Dirk meant how to follow updates and new features on plugins that you don't use yourself. I don't think there's a good way for that other than to read the ChangeLogs for those plugins.

Actually, that would be a nice blog project, if anybody wants to do that – make a blog and post all changes to plugins. :wink:

YL
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

Timbalu wrote:How should we else know you are waiting for a specific feature and like to get informed? :)
Public changelog, maybe in the forums?

This is exactly the case for me wanting to see plugin updates in the forums.

On the other hand:
yellowled wrote:Actually, that would be a nice blog project, if anybody wants to do that – make a blog and post all changes to plugins. :wink:
is a good idea as well.

I am using Serendipity for ten years now (in May) and I do not think I know every corner of the software ...

Cheers

Dirk