git branching strategy

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
yellowled
Regular

git branching strategy

Post by yellowled »

Let me preface this by saying that it's not urgent to implement this, but I think we should discuss it and keep it in mind. Also note that none of this is set in stone, as there are many ways to use git. (Read: I might be totally wrong about this.)

Over the past few weeks, I've been freelancing in a team which uses git. I still wouldn't call myself a git jedi, but I've learned some things, and I think we should think about how we use git for s9y development. I'm not sure everyone uses git the way I'm about to describe it, but I know I did at some point.

We use branches for versioning. Currently, we have

* master, which is the current dev version (1.7-rc4 at the moment)
* 2.0, which is for the new backend
* 1.6, which holds the soon-to-be deprecated version 1.6

Actually, I think we should use tags for versioning and branches for features or issues. That means our repo structure could look like this:

* master (branch) – current “bleeding edge” state of development
* 1.7 (tag) – snapshot of the (yet to be released as of today) version 1.7
* issue_xx (branch) – branch to fix issue xx
* feature_yy (branch) – branch to implement feature yy

What's the difference? There would be no more version branches, versions would be denoted by tags. We would not have to (what at least I have been doing) backport or upport changes from (or in) master. This could also make merging branches easier (I'm a bit concerned merging the 2.0 branch will be really complicated) since it is likely to reduce merge conflicts caused by changes made to both master and branch(es).

However, there are caveats to this approach, probably even more than I can see right now.

1. Feature branches which are being developed over a long period of time (like the new backend) will deviate from master a lot, so we'd need to merge master into the feature branch time and time again to make sure the feature branch still works properly with a current master. This could result in a complicated merge.

2. I'm not sure how to properly handle short-term bug fixes with this approach. As of now, we'd add those fixes to the 1.6 branch, tag a new version 1.6.x there and release that, correct? With this approach, we could only do bugfix releases as a snapshot of master, unless there's a way to add changes to a tagged version. Or we could keep a branch called “minor-releases” which always holds a copy of the most recent major release.

Yes, this sounds complicated now, but I think it will have two benefits: less confusion about what to commit where and less painful merging of branches. Of course I'm aware that the current system works for us and that this is a no-go if it imposes more work for Garvin in terms of preparing releases, but I still wanted to put it up for discussion. :)

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: git branching strategy

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

This sounds like some major merging pain, and overhead for creating branches for each fix or issue... and it would mean that I'd have to cherry-pick each feature before releasing and going through each and every fix, and then possibly resolve conflicts between different branches, if they touch similar area of code.

If someone wants to take over maintaining the release process, I'm willing to give that up to other hands that could do this. But for me, this would be too complicating. I notice I have only little time left, and I'd rather like to put this time into actual fixes, features or support rather than meta-work like release-maintaining.

The approach sounds very interesting though, I can clearly see benefits in this, especially for larger teams and client/project work... do you have an example of a running git repository where this is employed for some longer period of time, and works well to learn from as an example?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:This sounds like some major merging pain
I don't see why this should be more painful in terms of merging? I think a painful merge will be the one required to get to 2.0. Small branches for issues and features would probably be less painful since there's simply less files to be merged, hence less possibilities for merge conflicts …?
garvinhicking wrote:and overhead for creating branches for each fix or issue
Creating branches is extremely cheap and easy in git. The hard part would be to keep branches in sync since we'd have to set up remote branches and everyone would have to use local tracking branches.

Something I hadn't considered: this whole process would actually require a review process for merging branches, and I think that's the part of it we can't provide.
garvinhicking wrote:and it would mean that I'd have to cherry-pick each feature before releasing and going through each and every fix, and then possibly resolve conflicts between different branches, if they touch similar area of code.
I don't think so. Every feature or issue branch would only focus on a very small, well, feature or issue, which would be merged into master rather quickly after finishing it in order to avoid larger conflicts. git is surprisingly good at resolving those. It would, however, be problematic for larger features like the new backend.
garvinhicking wrote:But for me, this would be too complicating.
To me, this is the ultimate deal-breaker. I don't want to impose further work on you, and I don't think anyone could handle release management better than you, so if this does not work for you, it's perfectly fine to keep it the way it is now. :)
garvinhicking wrote:do you have an example of a running git repository where this is employed for some longer period of time, and works well to learn from as an example?
Sadly, it's not a public repository, so I'm not at liberty or even able to share it. Also, the “works well” part could be discussed for this particular project …

YL
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

I do remember to have seen something like this, but I can't remember where...

I agree with Garvin, this sounds way too much for us few... if we ever have so much more devs and pull requests for different versions, we can rethink this though.

[half-baked: ... Personally, I like having my "brain repository" to still remember what has changed. If I ever loose that having to trust git algorithms only, to know what has happened and needs to get merged up and down and everywhere, I currently feel like loosing control, which makes me feel unsafe with it...] :)
yellowled wrote:I'm a bit concerned merging the 2.0 branch will be really complicated
Not really. It wouldn't even need a merge, since we could just copy include/, (default/ and 2k11/admin/) into master and that would be it.
I don't think we'll have something like the 2.0 branch furthermore, after the "merge" back to master. Then master ist trunk and we will only have to backport issues to released branches, if there is a need.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Timbalu wrote:It wouldn't even need a merge, since we could just copy include/, (default/ and 2k11/admin/) into master and that would be it.
That might be true as of now [insert scepticism here], but I don't think it will still be possible after changes to the backend JS. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it.
Timbalu wrote:I don't think we'll have something like the 2.0 branch furthermore, after the "merge" back to master. Then master ist trunk and we will only have to backport issues to released branches, if there is a need.
That might as well be true, and it might very well be the better strategy for our team.

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Well, we could also go the other route - simply move ALL from the 2.0 branch into trunk. I think there should be little to none additions to the 'trunk' branch that are not contained in 2.0 already?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:I think there should be little to none additions to the 'trunk' branch that are not contained in 2.0 already?
Uhm, I wouldn't be too optimistic about that.

As of today, GitHub shows that 2.0 is “119 behind, 215 ahead”, and I assume that's in relation to master. Judging from the commit history, new backend development started in 12/2012, smartification of the backend maybe even earlier.

Since we haven't merged master into 2.0 since then, every change to master in that period of time would have to have been ported to 2.0. I'm not sure that has happened.

YL
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

yellowled wrote:
garvinhicking wrote:I think there should be little to none additions to the 'trunk' branch that are not contained in 2.0 already?
Uhm, I wouldn't be too optimistic about that.
I am! Those counted numbers do not tell you the real state, as they just are something like "shrinking" or "growing". My "brain repo" says, it is (say 'near' here, to not get bashed some day...) 100% ready to copy, even if copy may not be state of the art, since we would better like to merge the history (and have not even started to clean up).
If you have a look at 'Compare' and then at 'Files Changed', you'll see I am right.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian