Working on 2.0: Developer sprint

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
onli
Regular

Re: Working on 2.0: Developer sprint

Post by onli »

We could of course start earlier, and you could join us whenever and if it fits.

Regarding the date: I'm only so hesitant to choose a later date, because it is always good to start as soon as possible with things like this. Momentum and such. And, even more importantly, i guess that none of us can really guarantee that there will be nothing pop up hindering him to join on the next date. I know i can't.
So, if only two down so far and Garvin maybe could even come later on, why not just try it on the 18.11.?

Of course, if I'd be alone on the server, that is not the aim ;)

@mattsches: Of course, defining the aim will be important. I think that in doubt, just deciding to work on the backend will work fine for the first try and fill the time. But i welcome all suggestions for further refining the target.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote: So, if only two down so far and Garvin maybe could even come later on, why not just try it on the 18.11.?
If we're sharing personal experiences, here's one of mine: It is a pain in the ass to have to explain stuff to people which come in later or miss a date completely. Yes, we can write a protocol, but that is never as detailed as a session itself, and still people might go “TL;DR”.

Especially with starting something which might become a regular thing, we might have to clear up some things before we can even get started, which will be much easier if everyone is present. Then again, it might just as well be a good idea to get that out of the way on a trial run with just a few people. Oh, well, what do I know? :wink:

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Ok; I can do both: Join later on 18.11. and/or be available on the first weekend of december.

My mumble server is open to public. Whoever wants access, please send me a PM and I'll give it to him/her. I'll send it to those involved here now.

Trello is quite nice (it also supported Google auth, so pretty easy to get working).
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:My mumble server is open to public.
I'm on it now, if anyone wants to test Mumble.

Garvin, it might be a good idea to have a dedicated room for s9y stuff there?

YL
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

Ok guys, shall we do this on Nov 18 (1700 CET)? Even if it was only to figure out what we will be working on in the next sprint :wink:

I agree with onli that we should kick things off early. Let's consider the first sprint as a chance to get to know each other better; agree on tasks; support each other with problems we might encounter; maybe exchange thoughts on the best development setup; or simply collect ideas.

And if this session results in some code, even better!

What do you think?

PS: We could use an Ethernet Pad to write down some notes before/during/after the sprint (or Google Docs if you prefer).
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

mattsches wrote:Ok guys, shall we do this on Nov 18 (1700 CET)?
I just put this in my calendar, so I'll be there unless any good reasons arise to drop this. :)

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Will be there.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I should be available. I believe that is 10:30am my time.
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

I realized with awe yesterday evening I hadn't tested mumble yet and had a wordpress-installation running on localhost. Just corrected both points ;)

Till 17 :)
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

So, over for today.

Short summary: The backend needs more preparative work and we kind of agreed that the simpleness of the backend could be improved (example: really quite and unnecessary complex to add a new user), which a new backend should adress.

Apart from that, we ran into a bug with the staticpage-plugin which though in theory simple to workaround proved to be quite persistent.

Thanks everyone for participating! We agreed to try to meet again in 2 weeks, on 2.12.12 (and probably want to either start working on the backend for real or flesh out the [visual] concept).

Log: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/BX8F5gElO6 (thanks mattsches!)
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

onli wrote:Apart from that, we ran into a bug with the staticpage-plugin which though in theory simple to workaround proved to be quite persistent.
That bug is mentioned here.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Just to keep you guys up to date: Ian sent me his backend tpl files in a pull request this morning. Pull request merged without issues, I just now uploaded the combined files to a fresh 2.0 installation and everything seems to work just fine.

I'll have to go over the tpl files quite a bit, and I won't even touch the complicated stuff like the media db for the time being, but I guess I'll be able to get to styling it at least basically over the next couple of days whenever I get some time. I'll also not merge it back to the 2.0 branch for the time being since we don't have a “fallback switch” so far.

However, since I copied the backend tpl files before starting the installation, I can now confirm that it even “kind of works” with the current (BP) admin CSS. Of course, there are some elements which look weird because they're styled the wrong way, but it does not break altogether.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Can you email these files to me too? Or put them somewhere where they can be downloaded?
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Or put them somewhere where they can be downloaded?
https://github.com/yellowled/s9y-admin-tpl

Remember, you need to add these to a current copy of the 2.0 branch.

Any non-developer reading this: Do not use these files in a live blog, these are for testing only!

YL
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

yellowled wrote:I'll also not merge it back to the 2.0 branch for the time being since we don't have a “fallback switch” so far.
Well, YL seems to be very busy working with s9y-admin-tpl, so I just added a temporary switch to the 2.0 branch, which moved the smartified /tpl dir to /tplold as the default setting.

If you want to use it with the new backend markup, copy the new /tpl dir to the /include/admin/ directory and add

Code: Select all

// End of Serendipity configuration file
	// You can place your own special variables after here:

define('SWITCH_TEMPLATE_VERSION', 'true');
to the end of your serendipity_config_local.inc.php.

To switch back to the old smartified files, just set a // to the define().

Please post back if that works for you all.
https://github.com/s9y/Serendipity/comm ... c89ddc83b3
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian