Some minor quirks and improvements

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
yellowled
Regular

Some minor quirks and improvements

Post by yellowled »

I just installed a fresh copy of my local devblog and noticed some minor quirks which I think should be tweaked in future versions. Since these are really small and probably easy to fix, I didn't think they would be worth a thread in the Upcoming features section. Here goes:

a. Installing the blog in German (I assume this happens w/ any language, but I didn't check.), the blog is actually German as well as the respective setting in the global config, but not in the admin's personal settings. This is confusing, it should be set to German there as well.

b. I also think the input fields for db username and db name should not have a placeholder. It's pretty unlikely the installation's preset placeholders (both "serendipity" IIRC) will be correct on any web hosting platform. :)

I also just now updated plugins via spartacus in 2 blogs, and I realized we don't have an option to "update all plugins". So if there are updates available for multiple plugins, I have to click the update button for every single plugin, which can be kind of annoying. Is there a good reason why there's no option to update them all at once?

YL
LazyBadger
Regular

Re: Some minor quirks and improvements

Post by LazyBadger »

A. settings (I think) must be different and (if admin interface switchable) configured separately: if everybody prefer frontend on native language, NOT everybody want to have "often strange" translations for any part in backend and work with back-translations

Mass update of plugins can be done with mbutton-click (even if it's "not recommended mode")
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
yellowled
Regular

Re: Some minor quirks and improvements

Post by yellowled »

LazyBadger wrote:A. settings (I think) must be different and (if admin interface switchable) configured separately: if everybody prefer frontend on native language, NOT everybody want to have "often strange" translations for any part in backend and work with back-translations
I didn't want to imply that these should refer to the same variable or setting, just merely that if I set the blog language to be $lang, the individual language for the admin user created during installation should be set to $lang as well. Otherwise it's confusing, especially since the individual language is obviously set to $lang (otherwise the backend would be in !$lang), but the config select box doesn't reflect it correctly.
LazyBadger wrote:Mass update of plugins can be done with mbutton-click (even if it's "not recommended mode")
It would still be a nice feature for the user interface to have a button for that (if there's not technical reason not to have one).

YL
konus
Regular

usability of plugin installation

Post by konus »

I think, in the sense of usability, the process of plugin installation could need some optimization: After installing a plugin, the screen is full of messages and the content is far below the screen. These logs are good for searching bugs, but normally the user only needs to know the result "installed" or "error". How about a foldable box to prevent scrolling?

I have already many plugins installed. In the normal workflow, I would like to check settings and read documentation after install, but it is always difficult to find the new installed or updated plugin between all the others. Could the new plugin flagged in a different color or could there be a direct link to the settings of the plugin after the installation?