Recommendations engine

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
evanslee
Regular

Recommendations engine

Post by evanslee »

RE: Recommendations engine (based on prior posts read)

Is it possible to write a plugin similar to the popular entries plugin, but where it recommends entries to view based on the type of posts you have viewed in the past (maybe even weighting those based on the post or categories commented on most?
yellowled
Regular

Re: Recommendations engine

Post by yellowled »

evanslee wrote:Is it possible to write a plugin similar to the popular entries plugin, but where it recommends entries to view based on the type of posts you have viewed in the past (maybe even weighting those based on the post or categories commented on most?
I guess it is, but it is kind of an invasion of your reader's privacy since you'd have to track what entries any given visitor actually viewed.

There already are plugins making it possible to generate a list of entries similar to the entry a visitor is currently viewing, either by manually entering a list of related articles for any entry or by generating it automagically based on tags.

YL
evanslee
Regular

Post by evanslee »

Yeah, I have the plugin enable to recommend those with similar tags.

The blog will be closed to those outside, so the invasion thing is not an issue, infact it's been requested.

I know im probably taking serendipity in a customised direction for my purposes and it's not for everybody, we just though it would be a cool time saver for the viewer to help not miss out on entries.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Technically, it should be possible, but we don't have something like that right now. (Then again, I'm not a coder. Maybe it's not as easy as I think.) You just have to find someone to code it or do it yourself :)

YL
evanslee
Regular

Post by evanslee »

ok , thanks.