Serendipity phpbb3 import plugin and auth patch

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
lama
Regular

Post by lama »

i recently (yesterday?) moved from a phpbb3 installation to a wonderful web3000 supersize serendipity 1.2.1 (Ubuntu 8.05 LTS) blog. Problem was, that there is no importer for phpbb3.
So I changed the phpbb importer a little bit for phpbb3, but then i realized that phpbb3 stores passwords in a totally different format.
I had to patch the functions_config.inc.php to enable auth against the stored phpbb3-passwords.
the next day (today?) i decided to update to 1.5.1 and again i had to patch the functions_config.inc.php, because serendipity changed the login-procedure from 1.2.1 completely (actually it was much easier with 1.5.1, code had much more structure.)

the importer gave me some headaches, I cant deny that, as result there could be some problems with comments not getting assigned to a user, but most of the things will work. I found a typo after all the work but didnt have the time to check if this solved this problem. I hope to find the time to install another instance this week for deploying a rock solid final

Attached is a zip with
  • the importer
  • 2 patched functions_config.inc.php for serendipity 1.2.1 and 1.5.1
  • Readme and Codesnippets
and beware, its of course an ugly hack;-)
may god be with you :mrgreen:
Attachments
serendipity_phpbb3_import_plugin.zip
(44.01 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Serendipity phpbb3 import plugin and auth patch

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Hey, great for sharing your work! I understand that the phpbb3 hashtypes are really incompatible, that blows. :(

I figure there's no easy way to include your patches into serendipity core, without introducing a lot of obsolete code for most people that don't use phpbb3. A longterm goal could be to create an authentication plugin like serendipity_event_externalauth or sernedpity_event_openid. But that is a lot of work to do, and since your patch seems to get the work done, I suggest people to use that, if they need to import from phpbb3...

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
lama
Regular

Re: Serendipity phpbb3 import plugin and auth patch

Post by lama »

thank you for the kind reply, :oops:
i really didnt want this patch to be applied to the main sources, i just thought here would be the right place for people in need to find it;-)